Skip to main content

Lots more Farmer's Wife blocks

There is no way my Farmer can possibly still be feeling neglected. Since my last post I have been doing a block a day.






Here they are: The first one was Shooting Star. I got a bit grumpy with all of the random triangles - I'd pin them on, flip them over and they would be going the wrong way, so I'd unpin them, repin them, and they would still be the wrong way. But I got there in the end: some of the seams get a bit chunky, but I like the end result.


After the Shooting Star, I wanted something a bit easier, so I tried Puss in the Corner: really quick and really pretty (and more purple than it looks in the photo!).


Next I did Waterwheel. This is one of my favourites so far and I would love to see it across a complete quilt top. It makes me think of jigsaws.





And finally I did Cups and Saucers in a whacky green and pink batik.




I was getting quite concerned about the amount of fabric I was wasting through foundation piecing. Somewhere on the Flickr group in the depths of a discussion thread, someone suggested using the templates to cut the pieces roughly and then foundation piece. I've now done this on a couple of blocks with virtually no wastage and less agravation from the triangles, so whoever's idea this was - thank you.



I'm home from work on Friday and it's the August bank Holiday - three days of patchwork stretches ahead of me - heaven.

Comments

I am loving those fabrics. The way you used the blues in the waterwheel block is just fabulous. I 'sew' wish I hd three days to spend on this quilt, but... the kiddos would strongly object, LOL!
~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 
Linni said…
Wow what a quilt this will turn out to be! I am really smitten with the choices you are making, so lovely. I have just done shooting star too and it just about did my head in! I agree that there is a bit of wastage with paper piecing although I have tried to reduce it as much as possible. Most of the time its fine but blocks like the shooting star are hard to not waste on.
Lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more