Skip to main content

Moccasin Block of the Month [3]

Three moths in and I am still keeping up to date with this block of the month. It might be some kind of record!

Last month we just made one block because of the curved piecing. Curved piecing doesn't really bother me so it meant an easy month.... to make up for it, this month there are three blocks. And although half square triangles are nice and straightforward, there were quite a lot of them...

I made two shoo-fly blocks


And a crows foot block



When I planned out my colours for this quilt, I took each of the colours in the original and lined it up with a colour from my palette. For the last two months it's taken me longer to work out the colours than to cut and piece the fabric. So this month, after the first 20 minutes of trying to work it out I decided to chuck out that method and just pick fabric combinations I liked!

Comments

Marly said…
I find that too, Jennie; choosing the fabric takes the longest time.
Allison said…
Yes! Choosing fabrics can be very time consuming - especially if you are as indecisive as me! How many blocks will you have made before you put the quilt together?

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Incubator Quilt

This weekend marks the start of the Bloggers' Quilt Festival hosted by Amy I've struggled to decide which of my quilty finishes I wanted to share with you, but I've decided on this incubator quilt. Back in February/March we learnt that two of the regulars at our local quilt shop who were expecting Grandchildren had lost them within hours of their due date. Both babies had been still born. The mother of one of the babies asked our Local Quilt Shop if they could donate some quilts to the unit at the RVI in Newcastle where premature babies are cared for and where parents of still born babies are allowed to spend a few precious hours with their babies. So far the shop and its customers have donated over seventy quilts for this cause. I have donated two so far (you can see my other one here ), and I fully intend to keep making one or two a month. But this was my first one: That's the background of the reason I made the quilt, but it was also a quiltin...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more