Skip to main content

Two toddlers and a tent

As I mentioned in my last post, we came back from our family summer holiday a couple of weeks ago now. Whilst it was nice to spend time away from staring at a computer screen every day, this years holiday came with its own challenges.


We spent the first week in Sidmouth, as always, for the annual folk festival, sharing a house with my parents, my brothers and his wife and young son, and my mother-in-law. This year there was added complication as my Dad has spectacularly broken his foot, so not only did we have two buggies, we also had a wheelchair, zimmer frame and crutches to contend with. And if everyone had just done their fair share of washing up and been considerate of others, it would have been a lovely week. Sadly that wasn't always the case. Add on a musical line-up that wasn't the best ever and it wasn't the great festival we're use to. We will have to think very hard as to whether we go again next year. Nevertheless, the girls seemed to enjoy themselves.


Grandad in his "buggy", Jess in her buggy!
We headed from Sidmouth to Cornwall and a small campsite just outside of Fowey/St. Austell. We met up with my brother-in-law and his family and set up camp together. The camp site was fabulous, the tent went up easily and generally the weather was good. However, Jessica decided that her main aim of the week was to escape. We bought so many windbreakers to try and cut off all escape routes and she would still find a route through the guy ropes and out. Having used up a lot of patience and tolerance the previous week, this got quite wearing.

The kids had an absolute ball being on holiday together
Our trips out were good fun. We spent a day at Tintagel Castle - the hills and steps nearly killed me!


We went on a boat trip round Fowey harbour in the glorious sunshine.

We visited the Eden Project. Twice. I was blown away by it. They have a temporary space exhibition at the moment, and the girls were totally fascinated by it.
This was the West Australian Garden and I just loved the colours
And we visited St. Mawes... Bedruthen steps...

This is what the Cornish coast is all about!
...And Padstow. But we forgot that Jess is only 15 months old, and too much time in the car was starting to get to her. So after she's screamed around the narrow lanes of Cornwall, and escaped the tents 5 times in half an hour we called time, and headed home a few days early.

Proof that sh does sleep...
Much as I love my girls, it was great to hand them over to the child minder on the Friday, and to have a dinner out where the only person I had to worry about kicking off was my husband. And he's generally well behaved.

In between the frustrations we had a wonderful time and made some fabulous memories, but I think the holiday will go down in family legend as the one Jess made us come home from early!

Comments

Your story brings back memories! A holiday with my parents, brother, sister-in-law with a baby and my two babies!!! Lots of frustration, but also nice times. One decision....never again, so we can stay friends!!
Sounds less like a holiday and more like a test of endurance and patience! Bet you were glad to have everyone back in their own beds!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more