Skip to main content

Festival of Half Square Triangles: Cushion

There will be lots of photos in this post because I think this is one of my favourite finishes ever!

When Megan announced her Festival of Half Square Triangles I knew it would be a push to get the HST leftovers from Swoon made up into something, so they didn't just sit in a bag in the cupboard for ever. I completed a mug rug from the mini Swoon leftovers on Friday - you can see the post here.

And then I started pressing and trimming the 144 HST units from the main Swoon quilt. I really regretted not doing it as I went along. I nearly gave up.

This morning I finished trimming and went for it. And three hours later I have a beautiful cushion cover.

The fabric is Happy Mochi Yum Yum and the red is Aunt Grace. On the back, the white is Kona bleached white (which it turns out isn't actually white) - I am so pleased with the red top-stitching!


There's nothing ground breaking about the chevrons, and the quilting is simple straight lines. But it's the first time I've quilted anything this densly and I LOVE it. Maybe I should quilt my whole Swoon quilt like this....

I was slightly concerned once I had finished the quilting because the front shrunk by over half an inch. I was working to a cushion insert I already had, and I had already reduced the size of the cover by quite a lot, so it was touch and go whether the finished cover would be a touch too tight. It wasn't - it fits perfectly!!! So lovely and plump, but not too solid.
And I have some more triangles left for another project - I'm eeking as much as possible out of the Happy Mochi Yum Yum that I have!
Hope everyone's enjoying their Sunday. I certainly am!
 

Comments

Anne said…
That's really cute, I love the subtle colors with the bright red. A pillow is something I've never made, maybe some day!
What a fun pillow, I like it!
Fabulous cushion cover so worth pressing and trimming those HSTs for!
Cherie said…
It looks great! The design was perfect for a pillow =D
Debbie said…
What a lovely cushion! And congrats on your win!
PunkiePie (Jen) said…
Oh I think I will do the same with my Swoon HSTs. Looks awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more