Skip to main content

Finishing March in Style

Last night we saw out March in style with my Mum's "significant" birthday party. We had a great weekend down at my Parents and I have some photos to share later this week. For now, a round up of my March sewing:From the top left, aiming for a logical order:
1. Farmers Wife Block #74: Ribbons
2. Indian Summer cushion. This was a present for Granny, and I gave it to her this morning. She really liked it and the colours match her decor perfectly!
3. Oh My Stars: the quilt top is finished, except for a thin border and a wide border, but I couldn't face any more long seams with lots of points to get accurate.
4. Farmer's Wife in Your Life blind runner. My first attempt at binding using only the machine - no more slip stitching for me!
5. Swoon: All nine blocks completed with the Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabric and pieced together.
6.Farmer's Wife block # 28: Duck and Ducklings - a green block for St. Patricks Day
7. Farmer's Wife block #22: Corn and (baked) beans.
8. Jelly Roll Chain quilt
9. Mini Hopscotch: my practice piece before starting the full quilt to check I could make it with my rotary cutter and avoid templates. This is now bound and half quilted and will be a table topper.
10. Incubator Quilt (16x20") to be donated to the charity Tiny Lives at the RVI hospital in Newcastle, who will distribute them to the parents of premature and still born babies. This will hopefully be the first of many, and if you would like to donate your own, you can find the details here.
11. FINISHED: my Chasing Chevrons quilt backed with flannel.
And another project I totally forgot to include in my collage was the cushion cover I made for the mini quilt challenge.
I've learnt a couple of new skills in March: I've attached quilt binding entirely by machine - this was one of my New Years Resolutions, and I learnt to FMQ following a stencil. Both still need lots of practice!
Looking forward to April I am taking part in my first swap and my first bee, I have lots and lots of quilting to do, and two projects I've signed up for, collected fabric, but not started: Stained QAL and New York Beauty QAL.
You will notice, that the March Free Motion Quilting challenge from SewCalGirl is absent. I normally seem to do this on the final day of the month, and this month we were a tad busy, so unfortunately this fell off the bottom of the list. Hoping to catch up in March.
I'm linking up to Fresh Sewing Day and Small Blog Meet over at Lily's Quilts:


Lily's Quilts



Lily's Quilts

Thanks for popping by - what a shame it's Monday tomorrow!

Comments

Kelsey said…
LOVE your swoon!!!
Mina said…
Hello, stopping by from Lily's Quilts. Looks like you had a productive month. I recognize your quilt from the Scrappiness festival.
Dianna said…
Wow, you are amazing. I look forward to following your posts!
Heidi Staples said…
Some beautiful quilts here! I especially love your stars piece!
Karen M said…
I found your blog through the Small Blog Meet button at Lily's Quilts. I enjoyed looking around at your blog. I am now a follower. I look forward to seeing your progress on these projects.
Beth said…
Just stopping by while visiting the blogs linked on Lily's Quilts. I'm in awe of all you accomplished this month - everything looks great!
Allison said…
I found your blog through the Fresh Sewing Day link-up. Love your Happi Mochi Swoon!
Jeanie said…
Stopping by from the small blog meet. I love your Swoon quilt - the red is fantastic! I adore your Incubator Quilt. What a great cause!
Sarah said…
You have been busy - love the Swoon and Oh My Stars.
Sarah Ashford said…
Hi - I found you through the small blog meet too. Have you accomplished all of this in just one month?? Wow! Where on earth do you find the time?! They are all just gorgeous and I can't wait to see more of your work. I look forward to following you :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more