Skip to main content

Twit Twoo

My sewing machine is fixed (I hope) and today I got her back. But why go all the way to a patchwork shop just to pick up a machine and come home again? Why not do a class whilst you're there? I made an owl cushion!

The owl is raw edge applique, the fabric is Buttons and Blooms by Whimsicals for Red Rooster and the pattern is from the book to go with the fabric. The colours aren't my normal selecton, but I love the background fabric with the buttons on and the owl is so cute! It's good to try other fabrics sometimes - you might surprise yourself!
Although I really pleased with the finished cushion, I've learnt a few more things today:

  • In my opinion, no cushion really needs wadding in the backing - it's cosy enough without it and it just means that attaching the binding is hard work.
  • A "stretch stitch" - number 3 on my stitch menu - is a really nice stitch if you want the stitches to stand out more than just using the regular straight stitch.
  • Programming my machine to do text isn't very difficult, and I should do it more often, but the second font option on my machine has an odd i. But this first attempt was not quite good enough to show off, so I've tucked it on the inside!

  • No matter what the pattern says, I want a bigger overlap of the two backing pieces, so that my finished cushion doesn't gape. At the moment it is held together with a safety pin - I need to pick up some press studs next time I'm out.
And today I found out that I had won one of the random prizes in Megan's Festival of Half Square Triangles for my Chevrons Cushion! $25 to spend on fabric... heaven.... Thank you Megan!

Hope you're having a good weekend

Comments

Cherie said…
Wow that is such a cute owl! What great things to learn =D
Anne said…
I love that owl, he is too cute!
Celtic Thistle said…
Congratulations on your win, love the owl too!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more