Skip to main content

The legacy of generations

When I first started this Blog back in May 2010 I wrote about how I had been inspired to take up sewing by my Grandmother. She turned 90 in June - still knitting and sewing. At the end of the summer she suffered from a stroke and declined rapidly. She passed away in mid-November and today we said goodbye.



My Dad asked me if I would like to say a few words about her legacy of sewing.

Dear Baby,

 Had I been talking to you two months ago, I would have told you how lucky you were that you would get to meet two of your great-grandparents. In case you haven’t noticed in between your bouts of gymnastics, this is the second funeral that you and I have been to in as many months. In October we said goodbye to your Great-Grandad, Tommy, and today we are saying good-bye to your Great-Granny Joy. But on reflection, this makes you no less lucky. Although these two people, and those to whom we have already said good-bye, are no longer with us in body, the memories of them that your parents and grandparents, Aunts and Uncles still have and the legacy they left will always be a part of your life.

 The legacy left by Granny Joy is a tangible, every-day one. As long as I can remember, Granny embroidered, knitted, crocheted, made lace and dolls and teddy bears and generally did a lot of crafting. Although Granny and Granddad Tom lived in a small two bedroom cottage in Datchworth, this did not stop her collecting wool, fabric, threads, teddy bear joints, buttons, ribbons, magazines – the list goes on, and I certainly remember it being endless when they moved away from Datchworth and the family helped empty the back bedroom, the caravan and the sewing shed which Granddad had built Granny in the garden!

 At the time of the move from Datchworth to Puckeridge in 1996, I was just 11 years old and I remember the excitement of being given old cross stitch magazines and little cover kits, and even an old sewing machine. Because by age 11, Granny had already passed on to me her love of working with a needle and thread.

 My first memories of sewing are in Granny and Granddad’s living room at Datchworth – a long stitch kit of a ginger cat, followed by a long stitch kit of a goldfish. This was followed by more long stitch kits and eventually plastic canvas. And although I must have done sewing at home as well, all of these early sewing memories are at Datchworth with Granny. I remember one day getting a real ticking off from Granddad Tom – I’d been sewing a plastic canvas farm in peach and white wool in the garden, and when I came in the flowers near where I had been sewing were covered in the ends of the wool I had trimmed away! Perhaps my habit of turning up to work now in clothes covered in bits of thread is a legacy Granny could have kept to herself!

Her legacy does not just stop with the family: during the mid 1990s she spent many hours recreating a banner for Letchworth Morris Men: the original banner can be found in the Letchworth museum and dates to the 1920s when Letchworth Morris Men were first formed. Using various techniques ranging from applique, to embroidery and couching she hand stitched a brand new banner which is still in use by the side today. 

Granny was an avid member of the WI, taking part in many competitions and crafting activities, but she also gave talks to other WI groups. She had two talks: the first based on a collection of dolls she had made inspired by fairy stories – the doll representing sleeping beauty was a beautiful fairy holding a baby, but which could be turned inside out to show a witch holding the baby. The second talk, again based on her own handmade dolls, was a journey through British custom, legend and tradition.

 As Granny became older, she continued her love of handicrafts: knitting, cathedral window patchwork, and making patchwork teddy bears and outfits (including underwear) for her growing collection of shop-bought teddy bears. Right up until the day she fell ill, Granny was still crafting. On the day she passed away, the sewing machine she gave me back in 1996 was out and running, continuing that legacy.

 But this wonderful legacy was not just passed on to me: I can’t knit or crochet a stitch – for that, as well as beautiful embroidery, you will need to speak to your Aunty Catherine!

My love of sewing is perhaps one of the greatest gifts I have received and one that is now a part of my identity, and this is something for which I am grateful every single day. Granny Joy was just one of the people who you will never get to meet, but who will influence your life as you grow and develop an identity and a legacy of your own.

So, Baby, when you are desperately trying to fall asleep, and all you can hear is the constant whirring of the sewing machine, just remember – it’s Granny Joy’s fault!

Comments

Wendy said…
So sorry for your loss...your tribute to your granny is so heart warming and full of so much love. May your sweet memories of her bring you solace during this sad time of loss.
Leanne said…
I am so sorry to hear, but I have to say that it sounds like she was one terrific woman and that she will always be a big part of you and your whole family. Your letter is beautiful, thank you for sharing.
Lin said…
Lovely - thank you. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more