Skip to main content

False Alarm

It's just been one of those weeks. I felt great on Tuesday! The first day in over a week when I hadn't had morning sickness. I whipped up four blocks for a baby quilt, working from nothing more than a photo. Wednesday was pretty good too. And Thursday started pretty well. I managed to add sashing to the blocks I'd made and then we visited a new-to-us patchwork shop. Of course it would have been rude not to buy anything! We had lunch out. I got home and had a nap. Then we had parenting class... by this point I was feeling very uncomfortable... I didn't eat much tea.


At 1.30am, still very uncomfortable and getting pains, I threw up. Apparently one of the early signs of labour. Hmmm.... was I? Wasn't I? A question easily answered when my husband started throwing up too - he certainly wasn't in labour. I guess it was just a sickness bug!

Despite still being pregnant, it got me thinking - there are a number of things I/we really need to get done before Madam decides to make an appearance. The nursery, for example! It is at least now painted and this week we will be building the furniture and getting it all set up. My bag to take into hospital with me. I think I have everything I need to put into the bag. I'm just lacking a bag. I'm not sure carrier bags are quite what they have in mind when they say "pack a bag".

And there are some sewing things too. I'm making a quilt for Baby. Back in November an EPP quilt seemed like a good idea. It is no less a good idea now, and I'm really enjoying the pattern and I love the idea that love is going into every stitch (more so than with machine piecing). But I'm still five blocks to go (two are basted and ready to piece - maybe this evening) then borders (with a tiny but of applique), then quilting......


I really want to finish sharing my Thread Along quilt before Baby arrives, and I made real headway yesterday with the November block, and I embroidered the December block too, so the end is in sight!


But for today the priority has been the Siblings Together Bee. I still haven't tackled the January block, but I am Queen Bee for February - great timing - I committed to February a month before I found out I was pregnant (but I already was). So today I put together my example blocks.



I've picked a traditional block design called Love in the Mist - the tutorial is here. I love this block - I used for the Christmas table-runners I made. This time it's the full 12" size as shown in the instructions and there is no "background" colour! So girls - please could you all make me two blocks in different colours - so long as there is a contrast between the colours, the block should work! I cut each of my squares from a different fabric from my stash or scraps and I'm hoping this will make the quilt a riot of colour - it may hurt my eyes!

Comments

Diane-crewe said…
maybe you should sort out yourself AND THE BAG.. then sort out your other projects xx blocks look good by-the-way xx
Leanne said…
I hope you have packed that bag now, once it was packed (and a carrier sack will work) it suddenly felt much calmer for me. You will have time to get all organized, either before or after the baby arrives, I am sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more