Skip to main content

Some Sampler Quilt Love

A new year means new projects and yesterday I started two! Both are sampler quilts. Let me explain...

About 18 months ago I decided to make a quilt for my Uncle. He had seen my Farmer's Wife quilt top and spent ages looking at it in great detail. When someone shows that much interest in a quilt it's not a hard decision to want to make one for them. Add in the fact that he has a habit of falling asleep on the sofa and it's easy. While he was there we worked out what size quilt he would need, and for Christmas I asked for the book of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - I wanted to stick to 6" blocks and he really liked the jewel colours you get from using batiks but I was bored of the Farmer's Wife by this point. In February 2013 I bought the black batik background. And then I ignored it. Other projects took priority.

Meanwhile I fell in love with a range of fabrics this time last year - Architextures by Caroline Friedlander. So much so that after ordering and playing with a fat quarter bundle, I ordered, and hoarded, a half-yard bundle - just waiting for the perfect quilt design. What actually happened is Caroline Friedlander brought out Botanics, and I bought another half-yard bundle. Meanwhile, I was missing the Farmer. Over Christmas it hit me - these fabrics, with fairly small scale prints and a rainbow of colours, would be perfect as a sampler quilt - just add in some coordinating Kona solids...

I'm going to work on these two quilts in tandem. I need 76 blocks for my Uncle's Quilt and all of these will come from the Bridal Sampler (which contains a choice from about 140 blocks). For my Architextures and Botanics quilt I will make blocks until one of three things happens: I get bored, I run out of fabric, or the quilt becomes unmanageable! So for every block I make from the Bridal Sampler for my Uncle, I will make the same block in Architextures/Botanics, but I'm also going to be making quite a lot of blocks from the Farmer's Wife quilt with these fabrics - along with any other block I like the look of and will work as a 6" block.

Does that make sense?

And what's more there is a Flickr Group for Farmer's Wife in 2014 and yesterday was a communal sewing day. Like I needed the excuse. I made 9 Architextures and Botanics blocks, 4 Bridal Sampler blocks, and just so she didn't feel left out, 2 Dear Jane blocks. These are so addictive!

So, from the Farmer's Wife book I made block 2: Autumn Tints

Block 7: Birds in the Air (rotary cut)

Block 31: Evening Star (rotary cut)

Block 71: Puss in the Corner (rotary cut)

Block 98: Waterwheel (rotary cut)

Block 111: Wrench (rotary cut)

Wrench is the same as Churn Dash in the Bridal Sampler book

And Block 21 Contrary Wife is in both books (rotary cut)


I also made 54-40 (really odd name) in both fabric-ways from the Bridal Sampler book (rotary cut and foundation pieced)


And Amethyst (foundation pieced).


And so Jane didn't feel left out, I flipped to the end of the book and picked two relatively straight forward rotary cut blocks: M-5: Mother's Point in Reminisce by Art Gallery.

And M-12: Hopscotch in Botanics from Caroline Friedlander.
It feels like a productive weekend and I love working on these blocks!

Comments

You're certainly going to keep busy! All your blocks are looking amazing :)
scraphappy said…
Amazingly productive weekend. Such fun fabric choices too. Glad you gave Jane a little love along the way.
Whah! You made a lot of blocks this weekend. They all look nice. Can't wait to see the end results! If you carry on like this they will be ready in no time!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more