Skip to main content

Finish Along 2013: a final finish and a wrap up

This bonus week has meant one final finish for the 2013 Finish Along and my first finish of 2014!

she can quilt

The quilt is for a friend who had her baby boy back in August. Baby's nursery has a Very Hungry Caterpillar theme so the choice was easy. But I didn't even order the kit until mid-September. I got the fabric cut and then left it. To be honest, I wasn't very inspired. I had even resigned myself to letting this one roll over into next quarter. Until Sunday when I had an hour spare. And in the space of that hour I had done all of the border piecing and added the first border and half of the second border.


Why is it always the way that the things you put off actually can be done so quickly that you end up not knowing why you put it off again and again in the first place. So an hour on Sunday and a few hour yesterday got me a completed quilt top. I basted it this morning all by myself (just) and then I quilted it. I couldn't face setting up my machine for free motion quilting or putting the extension table together so straight line quilting was the way forward. I echo quilted inside the panels, gave a bit more definition to the butterfly in the centre, then quilted a quarter of an inch outside each of the pieced borders. Machine binding and done!


So that is my final finish for the 4th Quarter 2013 link up. I started with 20 finishes on my wish list and the comment that I would be happy with 10. How did I do?

Hexagon Table runner: FINISHED - and I love it.

Baby Quilt 1: Baby Blue: FINISHED and gifted.

Baby Quilt 2: Indian Summer: FINISHED and gifted.

Baby Quilt 3: Baby Paws: FINISHED and sent to my cousin to gift.

Baby Quilt 4: The Very Hungry Caterpillar: FINISHED (see above)

Baby Quilt 5: for my baby... PROGRESS but the plan changed. These are the Lucky Stars blocks from Don't Call Me Betsy and just a few weeks after putting on the Finish Along list, Elizabeth announced a second year of patterns, so I've signed up and will keep making these little blocks. Maybe it will be for baby when she's older. Maybe it will be for Mummy! I have made more blocks since October and I have another 3 prepped and ready to piece.

Medallion Quilt: FINISHED and gifted.

Aspen Frost: PROGRESS but not finished. The construction technique is ots and lots of chain piecing individual units and although it feels like I haven't made much progress I'm thinking it will be on e of those quilts that comes together very quickly at the end. But I'm not really close to that end yet - just closer than I was!

City Sampler: PROGRESS: I have just 11 blocks left to make, then my favourite part... sashing - I hate sashing. I also want to do a lot of free motion quilting on this - it really makes the difference on Tula's quilt, but as I keep telling my Mum - I'm no Angela Walters....

Joy Jelly Roll: PROGRESS but currently in disgrace - read yesterday's post for just how badly this quilt has been misbehaving....

Batik Wall Hanging: FINISHED and gifted: Even I'm surprised I got this finished....

Fireworks: UNTOUCHED.

Thread Along Quilt: PROGRESS - I nearly have a completed quilt top. Nearly, nearly...

Sisters BOM: UNTOUCHED - still only four blocks!

Skill Builder BOM: PROGRESS: I have made more blocks since October but I still have blocks to make and lots of quilting to get through.

Mystery Project: ABANDONED....

Neon Stained: UNTOUCHED

Three Peaks: UNTOUCHED

Double Wedding Ring: UNTOUCHED

Grey and red ferris wheel: UNTOUCHED, but I have located the missing bag....

That makes seven finished. I'll take that!

Looking back over 2013 I have finished 19 projects which qualified for the Finish Along. Considering I did no sewing for over a month in early pregnancy and had to slow down a little bit for the second half of the year, that isn't bad. And even with Baby imminent, I will definitely be taking part in the 2014 Finish Along!

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Wow you achieved so much. I love your hexie table runner it is fabulous!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more