Skip to main content

Finish Along [Q1 plans]

I have no idea how much time I will get this quarter...probably not a lot. But that won't stop me putting together another enormous list!

Priority number 1 is the Cosmos Dust Quilt. Because this is for Baby. I'm hand piecing using EPP techniques and I'm now over half way. I have already bought fabric for borders and backing and binding - I'm working on this project today!

I really really want to finish my Thread Along quilt. I'm sharing the pattern with you all on my blog and I fell a bit behind during my never-ending pregnancy but I am catching up. I'm pretty close to a finished quilt top but I may hand quilt it and that may be a long process - but I'm still hopeful.

This week I finished piecing the 100 blocks of Tula Pink's City Sampler. Now comes my least fabric part...sashing and the dreaded long seams. But I can at least do this. Then I want to quilt it and move out of my comfort zone and try to use different FMQ patterns - It's not going to be like the book (that's a note for my Mother) but I want to try and add lots of interest. The initial aim is a finished quilt top by the end of January to link up with the Quilt Along.

And in order to practice my FMQ I'm putting Neon Stained on the list again. The plain is lots of different FMQ patterns in the individual squares. Unfortunately the last time I tried to FMQ on my machine it had a thread-snapping hissy fit. I need to work up the energy to have another go - perhaps on a day without morning sickness (yep - 35 weeks today and still throwing up)!

Three Peaks is going back on the list. Because I'm stubborn. I really enjoyed hand quilting my Medallion quilt back in October so that's the plan with this quilt - and it's pink, so we could use it with Baby.

I'm also going to add on the Skill Builder BOM. I've decided not to take part in this years BOM as I'm not wild on picture blocks, and that will give me time to work on finishing last years. I still have some blocks to piece and lots to FMQ before I can think about piecing the blocks together. In all reality this one won't be appearing in the end of quarter linky.

And the Aspen Frost quilt because I really want to gift this quilt soon - the recipient who doesn't know about it keeps dropping hints about how much she would like a quilt! It has got further than the below picture - I've started the chain piecing, but it still is a long way from resembling a quilt...



That's it - a mere 7 projects! Of course it's the start of the year... and that really means lots of starts without feeling guilty, so maybe none of the above will be completed (except the first).

I'm looking forward to another year of finishes with Katy!
Finish Along 2014

Comments

JB said…
What a list! The city sampler is great. Good luck with them all!
A very respectable, reasonable number to achieve. Oh wait. You're going to have a newborn. Sleep will be more important! ;-) Seriously, those are some beautiful projects. I'm looking forward to seeing the finishes!

http://www.busyneedle.ch
Unknown said…
Love the TP quilt! Beautiful and inspiring! Can't wait to see it finished and how you do the FMQ. Beautiful quilts you have on your 1Q FAL! The best finish of course will be the beautiful baby girl!
You have lots of beautiful work in progress. Love your bright sampler!

Thanks for your comment on my "just thinking" post yesterday. I wish you a very special and easy birth. You know, post baby, those boring long seams may be just the ticket as you catch sewing here and there and don't always feel 100%. But rest assured you'll come out of it with the best "thing" ever (baby) and new inspiration to sew!
mumasu said…
You have some beautiful projects there. I'm also doing the Skill Builder 2013, its the hand blocks that are holding me up.
UKMUMINUSA said…
Great list, your city sampler is lovely. I got way behind with mine, but hope to complete it this year.
Katy Cameron said…
Good luck with both the list and the baby!
knottygnome said…
beautiful! i love your thread-along project.
Ruth said…
Love your projects - your city sampler looks fantastic already!
Nilya said…
Gorgous Projects!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more