Skip to main content

Cotton and Steel Mini Quilt Swap

Last year I decided not to take part in any more swaps. I really work hard to produce something well-made, and special for my partner, and a couple of times I've been disappointed with what I got in return. In one swap, I didn't receive anything from my original partner, and knowing that the swap mama was a pretty busy person, I said not to bother about an angel quilt. My choice. But receiving is only half of a swap: I love the making. I love picking out an idea that really pushes me to make something better than I would have made for myself. And Instagram seems to offer up daily temptation - I really believe there is a swap out there for absolutely everything!

Gorgeous quilt from @busybeestitching

This stunner was from @jenglebell in the Schnitzeland Boo Mini Quilt Swap

And this one was from @julie_pickles in the IGMiniSwap


So at the start of the year after receiving these fabulous quilts in the #IGminiquiltswap, the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap, and the #UKmini Swap, I signed up for another 4. Yep. Four. It's one deadline a month between June and September which is manageable. The first of those is the Cotton and Steel Mini quilt.


It's based on the logo for my email client at work (quilts really are everywhere), which I tweaked and simplified. But I loved the look of that double drunkards path block - two curved seams in one unit. I sketched it out, created my own templates and held my breath. And it worked. I did controlled improv-piecing (I know - contradiction) for the background. The remit was all Cotton and Steel prints, but you could use another manufacturer for background. I've used Art Gallery Pure Elements in White - it is not forgiving if there are puckers, or a little bit of extra fabric round those curves - gorgeous as it is, Kona next time.


It was begging to be matchstick quilted. I even added a label.



I always wonder whether the extras I send are sufficient. I start off with grand plans for hand-made extras, and gradually run out of time. But this time, I was organised enough to complete this hoop with a bit of subversive stitching.



It was a bit of a risk as I didn't know my partner well, but it was something she'd pinned on Pinterest. I got some raised eyes at our local patchwork group! I added a little fabric tray and some stationary too. And my partner loved the hoop!

And look a the amazing quilt that I got from Cassie @sewstitchinghappy



Not to mention all the goodies she sent!



I may have signed up for another swap since I received this parcel....the #easyswapuk with a post date of October! And maybe a fabric post card swap too - this is something I've never tried before but it looks like great fun! And I'm sure that there will be more temptation in the coming weeks!

ETA: I totally forgot to add that the quilt I made was another tick on my Q2 Finish Along List!

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Comments

Leanne said…
I saw that mini of your somewhere you posted it and clearly you have made a mistake. That quilt surely is for me. It is just fantastic, your partner is so lucky.
Lin said…
What lovley quilts all. I just wish I could zoom in on them a bit more to get some detail! I like to swap - but am happier to stick with cards and atc's. I think it's the extra's that get me - if it was just a straight swap of an item, quilt, bag or whatever then I would be fine. Love the design of the quilt you made - you are right, there are designs everywhere. xx
I love that mini! Good luck with your other swaps!

*Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more