Skip to main content

Finish Along Q2 [my get-up-and-go got up and went]

Inevitably Q2 was not my most successful ever. In my defence, we moved house, had loads of work done on the new house and went on holiday - the work on the house continues and I see more decorating in my future! I think I lost my sew-jo for a while and then got very distracted by a couple of lovely hand-piecing projects, but don't expect to see ANY of them listed here soon! You can find my Q2 list here.

I do have one final finish of the quarter to share with you: A little April Showers mini. And by mini, I mean mini.



I have made this design up before - it's one of Mia's nursery hoops, but when I was cutting, I cut for two so I could have a mug rug to match. Unfortunately to make Mia's big enough to fill the hoop, I used every remaining scrap of blue fabric, so when I finally found my pieces the other day, I only had enough for a finished piece of 5" x 7.5" - it didn't even divide up nicely to make a patchwork border, so I just finished it as it was and added some buttons - I'm sure I can find a space for it on my mini quilt wall. And I really should get on with making some more hoops for Mia's nursery. And hanging them....

So what else did I get finished? My first finish was Marsala Clams. Started for the Pantone challenge and finished by the deadline (something of a miracle), it taught me two things: brown really isn't horrific, but clamshells (especially that size) are!





Second up was the woodland log-cabin cushion. This was A Lovely Year of Finishes goal and I was determined to meet it, even though it involved sewing up the finishing seams on a random machine and not my own.



And I also finished the Cotton and Steel Mini Quilt for the swap.



Until three weeks ago, that was my list.... three finishes! I couldn't post that. So I upped my game. I listed Mia's cat quilt as my goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes in June. And finished it!



And then I mentioned to my husband that I had started quilting the quilt I was making for one of his work colleagues and their new baby. The next thing I know, he's organized to go and visit them to give them the quilt. So I got the Power of Nine quilt finished too.


So that's six finishes from an original list of 19. The other things on the list are in various states....I pulled out the City Sampler yesterday and made some real progress on the quilting last night. I know where I'm heading with it, but it's going to take a while to get there;  I put a couple of stitches in the Jennie Rayment wall-hanging, but got no where close to a finish; secret sewing, the Skill Builder Quilt, my double wedding ring quilt and Aspen Glow were never going to be finished and haven't been touced! I'm a little disappointed I didn't finish the Slivers II cushion, but it's now much closer than it was. As for the baby quilts: the yellow and grey one is now cut out, the navy and blue one has been abandoned, and the pink and grey one has totally changed direction! Some of these quilts will definitely be making an appearance for Q3, but some need to be retired back to the UFO pile for a while.
Contrary to what I may have written above, I'm not actually too gutted that I didn't finish more. The reasons for lack of finishes are good ones, and the hand sewing I've been doing has been wonderfully relaxing. However, as the quarter draws to a close, I'm keen to get back to my machine. I have so many ideas of things I want to start/finish in my mind, that unless I start making them, my head might explode!

I'm linking up with Adrianne at On the Windy Side for the Q2 finish linky and heading off to have a think about the Q3 list.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Comments

I adore them all but my favorite is the girl with the umbrella!! I adore that!

Might I also add that your header is beautiful!!!!

**Thank you for sharing and participating in the FAL. Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more