Skip to main content

Sidmouth [2016]

It's that time of year again - we take a week out to enjoy some fabulous music and good company - all with very poor phone signal and practially no internet! This year was my 27th festival, Michael's 13th festival (I think), Mia's 3rd festival and Jessica's 1st festival! We spent a week at my parent's house first which was lovely and relaxing before the slightly less relaxing festival week.



We spent a few days in the garden with the paddling pool, we went to the zoo and we just stopped and relaxed and enjoyed spending time together as a family.

Walking like the elephants - trunks holding tails!


Sidmouth festival is slightly more manic - there are something like 60 events each day: concerts, workshops, sessions, children's events, dances... even the most energetic festival goer only gets to a small portion of the events and with two small children in tow we saw relatively few. But what we did see was fantastic: first up the concerts - John McCusker and his band, including Heidi Talbot and Kris Drever; Sharon Shannon and her band - the pianist was mind-blowing; Show of Hands, who played loads of their best songs from the last 25 years; Blazin' Fiddles playing pure Scottish music; Jez Lowe and Bob Fox who play music from the North-East; Le Vent du Nord - a four-piece Quebecois band; and Lynched who play raw Irish music. So many inspiring musicians, so much wonderful music.



Jess was a bit little to really appreciate things, but she smiled along to the music, enjoyed early morning walks with Mummy in the carrier (a bit too early for Mummy) and wriggled lots on the floor and in the gardens where the children's festival took place.
Jess slept through the concerts we took her too - she looks so cute in those ear protectors!
She finished up the week by rolling for the first time at 15 weeks old.

In my defense, this was pre-8am...
Mia really enjoyed the festival this year. She was old enough to go along to the action songs sessions and the messy craft sessions. It would seem she has quite the love of glitter - we are still trying to get it off of everything including ourselves. She walked and walked, and ran and ran. She ate ice-cream, paddled in the sea; played in the park; napped in her pushchair (albeit briefly); ate lots and lots and lots of cake (she will think that holidays just mean cake!); drank lots of cups of tea and enjoyed her first concerts. I also think she grew several inches from the start of the week to the end. It was just wonderful to watch her grow and develop and enjoy herself.

Mia and Daddy took Teddy to the Teddy Bears' Hospital session at the children's festival. He got bandaged up but thankfully felt better by bed time. Unfortunately he must have been contagious, because the next day, Giraffe had to go to have his nose bandaged, front leg put in a sling, and he needed lots of plasters!
There's no denying that a week at a folk festival with two girls under three years old is hard work. Thank god we weren't camping - we rent a house just yards from the main concert venue! We couldn't have managed without Linda's help - this year was her 5th festival, and with the support from my parents. I'm already looking forward to next year!

Jessica and her Grannies


Comments

Lin said…
Sounds brilliant - if hard work. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more