Skip to main content

Yoda [a finish]

Last Christmas I confessed my absolute disinterest in Star Wars and shared the Darth Vader cushion I made for a young man who does not share that disinterest! That same young man turned seven a month ago. This time I picked Yoda.



The pattern is by Quiet Play and is available free on Craftsy. It's foundation pieced, and despite appearances, it's a straightforward block to make - it took just a few hours start to finish, including "help" from a certain small person: "Can I do the scissors, Mummy?" There are many advantages to having a scissor function on a machine. Your two-year-old learning what the button does is not one of them! But it involves her and interests her in sewing in a safe manner, so I try and let her when she asks. She set up her own sewing area yesterday complete with sewing machine, iron and fabric scraps!



The pattern doesn't include the eyes, but I felt I needed to add them - the black is machine raw-edge appliqued and the outline is hand embroidered. I did try and add more facial features but each time I tried, Yoda just turned into Shrek! Not the look I was going for. I gave it to his Mum on Tuesday (also a bit of a Star Wars fan) and she declared it perfect! I'll take that!

The finished block is 10" and I added borders to bring the size up to 14". I quilted it by stitching round the shae of Yoda. Those eye outlines are also through the wadding which adds some depth. I added a zipper back using my go to tutorial from Adrianne @Onthewindyside. 

There are definitely more Star Wars cushions in my future: I think R2D2 may be making an appearance at Christmas to go with Darth and Yoda, and my nephew saw the Yoda block yesterday and has also requested Darth Vader!

Comments

Lin said…
Nice finish Jennie - I like that Mia has her own work station - brilliant. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more