Skip to main content

It's been a while....

So my blog and I took an unexpected break... but hopefully this post means I'm back...

So what's been going on? Well back in January I took a risk: I left my permanent, though ill-defined job at the end of my maternity leave. It wasn't heading in the direction I really wanted my career to go in, and whilst a permanent job is huge reason to stay, career progression was a huge reason to leave. I took a 6 month contract going back to what I love to do - payroll. And when it ended at the end of June, I was made permanent! 6 months of unknown, and wondering if I had done the right thing paid off! I work from home, with some travel, so I get to spend more time with the girls, and no time commuting, which is such a luxury.



But a full time job with two toddlers is not the easiest of things to juggle. And when I have time, I'm inevitably spending it sewing. Instead of blogging. That means that I have a load of stuff (including lots of finishes) to share with you, but I just haven't had the time to write them up.

The weather wasn't great all the time on holiday!
This is at St Mawes in Cornwall.

We've just come back from our summer holiday. To be honest it wasn't the best we've had. Sidmouth was Sidmouth, but there was some stress involved this year and the line-up wasn't quite as good as some years, so we're going to think very carefully about whether we go next year - some of the factors are not in our control, but I need to deal with that unknown. And the second week camping in Cornwall was fabulous. But camping with a 15 month old has it's own challenges, and once Jess started screaming rather than sleeping every time we put her in the car, we called time and headed home a few days early.

But when the sun shines, just look at the colour of the sea.
Tintagel Castle, Cornwall.
We've been back a week now. And we're all finally back in our routines (we'll ignore Jess's sleep routine - or lack thereof). And it's time to look ahead to *whispers* Christmas. That's four months away (sorry) - what is scheduled during that time, what work trips do I need to travel for during that time, what do I want to achieve by the end of the year. Well obviously that last part is ridiculously over-ambitious, but part of it is to blog more regularly.


So I'll try and catch up over the next week or so and post some more pictures from our holidays and let you see what I've been working on!

Comments

It's lovely to see you back here and to learn the job is going well! Sorry the holidays weren't as relaxing as hoped, I hope Jessica settles into a sleep routine soon x
Lin said…
Glad you have found a job you enjoy and that suits you. Nice to see you back here too. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more