Skip to main content

De La Luna Brimfield

If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that over the course of the last 8-10 months, I've developed a bit of a thing for Tula Pink fabrics. I've curated quite the stash of her older fabrics, loved using Spirit Animal in my Mandolin quilt, bought nearly all of the All Stars fabrics and found a love of fussy cutting. In summer this year, she released a Halloween line called De La Luna. We don't really celebrate Halloween in our house, but Mia is fascinated by it (helped along by Fireman Sam's Spooky Adventures...). And the fabric range didn't scream to me. Until I started seeing it used in Brimfield blocks. This is an English Paper Pieced, curved, block with a great opportunity for a large fussy cut in the centre.



And it just so happened that I had an open order with a fabric shop in the US, and adding on a fat quarter bundle was very reasonable. My plan was to order a fat quarter bundle from the US, and then order a few extra pieces once available in the UK. I could use those extra pieces to put together a single, test, block, and see if I liked it. If I didn't like it, there would be plenty of opportunity to sell the complete fat quarter bundle at a later date.


When the fabric was released, inevitably I loved it! I still feel that some of the fabrics (the eyes) need to be used sparingly and carefully so the quilt doesn't freak me out, but generally speaking, the colours are fabulous, and it's a little bit Harry Potter-esque... (which is ALWAYS a good thing  - get it?). This weekend, with Halloween approaching, I finish that first block.


My plan is to make 12 blocks in total (once appliqued each one will be about 16" square). and I'm going to construct the quilt in the same way I constructed Round We Go - applique each block as I go, and quilt each block as I go, then pop it all together nice and easily at the end to get to a quilt 48" x 64". But I can't decide what colour background fabric to use. I did some mock ups, using just the one block - but each block will be pieced differently.








I think I've narrowed it down to two options: all black, or a black and pink chequerboard. Maybe I'll buy the pink I need whilst I can (it's a Tula Pink Designer Solid in Cosmo), and then make a few more blocks before I actually decide. I think it's safe to say this quilt will not be finished for Halloween 2018, and is looking unlikely for Halloween 2019!

Oh and yes, I loved and bought a full fat quarter bundle, and then some, of Tula Pink's Zuma, which was released recently, and I'm pretty sure the new range, which we're seeing sneak peaks of, Pinkerville, will also be added to my collections - I means, it's got unicorns in it! And whilst baby number three is looking like it will be a blue one, I still have two girls who love unicorns (and boys can love unicorns too).

Comments

Emily said…
Your block is lovely, but what really caught my eye is: Fireman Sam has a spooky adventure??! My son is a big Fireman Sam fan and I don't think we've seen a spooky adventure of any sort. Made me smile to see a Fireman Sam reference on a quilting blog--a first for me!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more