Skip to main content

Fabric, fabric and a bit more fabric

Lots of yummy fabric to report on today. As I seem to have developed a little bit of a thing for quilt-alongs.... I need some fabric to go with them:



Earlier this week I signed up for the Swoon quilt-along. I haven't signed up to anything since. I decided to make this quilt for me using the Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabric that I got for Christmas - this fabric is just so summery, I love it. By chance I had bought exactly 18 fat quarters - it was meant to be. So today I needed to get background fabric. I didn't want white or cream, so I was thinking navy. This is what I've ended up with. Not quite navy.
The red is less orangy in real life. I am now ready to start this project at the weekend. I've been reading all of the posts on the Flickr group and I'm now quite nervous about the cutting - I can't replace this fabric if I mess up. Here are the fabrics paired up as they will be in the blocks:

What else have I signed up for? The Oh My Stars Quilt Along. I started this earlier in the week (see my first bunch of stars here) and here is my second batch -all pinwheel stars. I think that chain piecing all five at once was maybe a bit too much....

I'm still well behind, but I have no plans for the weekend (other than sitting in front of my sewing machine and a couple of family birthdays) so maybe I'll make some progress on this too. The latest tutorial is for a frosted tips star.

The Tango Challenge to make a quilt with orange, one neutral colour and one other colour is another group I may have joined! Here is my fabric selection (warning - sunglasses required) - isn't it horrifically, garishly beautiful! Orange, pink and black... maybe I'll start this project at the weekend too.

The Melrose quilt (also here) is taking a back seat until I have had some free motion quilting tutition later this month.

And amongst all of this activity, my Chasing Chevrons quilt is still on my sewing table, though I haven't moved beyond the 15 blocks I made at the beginning of the month. Maybe this weekend.....

And the final new project of 2012 was the Quilt Aid block: I am continuing to make flowers from 1/2" hexagons....

Then of course I have all of the projects that I started last year...... heaven

The weekend will last for more than two days, won't it?

Comments

Love the fabrics you have picked out for the swoon-a-long! And the bright colors with the black.. yes, it is bright, but I think they are perfect together and will make a stunning combo! :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more