Skip to main content

NYB Rainbow Place Mats

It's ok - Christmas can happen: the place mats, a present for my Mum, are finished!

They don't have quite as much embroidery on them as I had planned, as I couldn't transfer the design with much success. But now they are finished and laid out together, I do like the simple running stitch. They are quite small - only 12 x 10" - but that suits my Mum's table.

The pattern for the New York Beauty Block can be found here and I used the freezer paper foundation piecing technique (great tutorial here). I have then quilted wobbly lines, added the running stitch in DMC threads to match the fabrics (which are all batiks), then finished them off with a batik back and some top stitch (which very nearly broke my sewing machine when then needle snapped!).
I love the leaves on the yellow fabric

To finish off the present, I took some of the off-cuts and stitched them together to create a "ribbon" in the loosest sense of the word, and tied a bow round them.

Now I have to wait to Tuesday to see if Mum likes them!

Edited to add - it looks like the link to the PDF is broken - try this one!

Comments

Grit's Life said…
Fantastisch !!!
Liebe Grüße Grit
Karen M said…
You created a beautiful set. Your Mom will love them. Nice finish. Merry Christmas.
Kim said…
Love those placemats, and that's a stunning NYB block. When I followed your link though, it led to a non-existent web page. Is there any chance you have the template downloaded and would be prepared to pass it on?
Jennie said…
I've updated the post with a new link to the PDF! Enjoy! (Kim - you're a no reply blogger, so I couldn't contact you directly - sorry)
Nic said…
I love these. Bet your mum did too

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more