Skip to main content

Seeing Double [Countdown to Christmas]

Last year I made a quilt for myself using a Jelly Roll of Countdown to Christmas from Moda. Only today did I realise that this fabric range was also Sweetwater - definitely a bit a of a crush going on here! It was the first quilt I ever finished - pieced by me, quilted by me, bound by me! The pattern is from Jelly Roll Sampler Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.
This is my quilt that I made last year

A friend of mine saw the finished thing and asked if I would  make her one. So I went out straight away and bought another jelly roll, some extra fat quarters for the corner stones and the fabric for binding. But my LQS had sold out of the cream spot I'd used for sashing and my friend wanted exactly the same.

I put in an order with The Fat Quarter shop in the US and as it was silly to just buy a meter, I added in a bundle of Happy Mochi Yum Yum.... which led to Swoon!

I finally started the second quilt in August, and did the blocks now and then. Last week we went to buy the backing and wadding so I thought I'd better get a move on. Yesterday I made the final four blocks and today I put it all together! I've even done the borders before I reveal it on my blog!
Count Down to Christmas v. 2
And here they are side by side:
Spot the different!

Also today, Linda and I made this quilt top - it's 36x36" and is a Christmas present for a little girl.

I now have quite a few quilt tops that need to be quilted this side of Christmas: Countdown to Christmas, Rosie's pink quilt, Mod Pop (finished last weekend), Jelly Roll Braid (which I finished month's ago) and the second Papillon quilt, which I should get finished tomorrow. Also - that's a lot of binding....

Comments

You sure did a a good job on these two, they look beautiful.
Grit's Life said…
This quilt looks beautiful.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more