Skip to main content

A Flower for Thee [a finish]

Loads of projects are suddenly coming together after a few months of a couple of stitches every now and then. This is a project that has been three years in the making. It started as a kit of a block that was one of twelve. Quilt Aid was a project raising money for women injured in childbirth and for each block bought a donation would be made. As I understand it, the scheme ran for a few years and in 2011 was introduced to Europe for the first time - 6 shops each had two blocks. But there was no way of paying over a period, or having the blocks saved. So unless you bought all 12 blocks within about 4 months of the launch, you weren't guaranteed a kit. At about 20eur / £18 a block, I simply couldn't commit to that. I ended up with four kits of the full twelve.


I'd started the first block really excited, but once I realised I would never be able to finish the quilt (and that the four blocks I had bought were not among my real favourites) I put the block I had started in a drawer and forgot about it. Until this summer, when we rearranged the world (it was only the lounge, but it felt like the world). I found it and was going to throw it away to be honest, when my Mum suggested finishing it as a cushion for Mia. Maybe because I had a reason to finish it, I added it to my Finish Along List and I'm really pleased to see it finished at last. It's come out much better than I had expected.


The fabric is all Ruby by Bonnie and Camille - I luckily had a few pieces in my stash to supplement the kits and add a border, binding and backing. The centre is raw edge appliqued and hand stitched using Finca perle cotton. Around the edge is a peeped seam, then a ring of hand English Paper Pieced hexie flowers. This was my first experience of hexies and this block has a fair bit to answer for in that respect. However, I'd glue basted them, and removing glue basting after three years was not a pleasant experience! I finished the block with some hand quilting. The corner stones in the border were not planned, but neither was my cutting mistake!

I was so inspired that I pulled out the other 3 blocks I have kits for yesterday morning. I've decided to keep one and make that into a cushion as well, so Mia has a pair (I also have enough extra fabric about to back and bind the cushions in matching fabric). The remaining two I posted on Instagram earlier #destash. One I've sold, the other not yet. If you're interested, the one on the right below is still available for £10 (inc. postage, UK only - if you would like it posted elsewhere, I'll have to work out postage), just send me a message.

For now, the Elephant cushion is a Finish from my Finish Along list and the remaining cushion may appear sometime in 2015.
Finish Along 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more