Skip to main content

Slainte [a finish]

This was a project where I did all the hard work, then ignored it for ages. And when I picked it up again it came together really quickly.

This mini came about from two things: firstly the Big Stitch Swap where someone made a hoop with the word "stitch" embroidered in the style of chemical elements. Secondly, there is a whole in the wall above our telly where a picture use to hang before we hung our telly. On the first count I thought it was a great idea and started researching other words I could spell from chemical elements (some are very rude...). On the second count, we are far, far too lazy to remove the rawl-plug and fill in the hole and get a smidgen of paint to cover it!

I looked through all of the English words you could make from real elements (I avoided the websites that make up elements for you so you can spell any word). I was tempted with 'La "Cuisine"' or 'welcome to the "circus"' where cuisine and circus could be spelled. But it turns out that the Gaelic word "Slainte" (pick your accent acute or grave depending on where you are) can be spelled. It means "cheers" or "good health".

Why Gaelic, I hear you ask. I'm not Scottish. I'm not Irish. But I do love the traditional music of both of these fabulous countries, and Slainte comes up fairly regularly. So I don't feel too fraudulent using it. Plus I'm a language student. And I'd run out of ideas in French, Italian and German, and I can't remember a word of Portuguese....

Anywaaaay - back to the quilt: I've use Art Gallery Pure Elements in black and white (I don't know the technical names). The big letters are appliqued on by machine. The smaller text and numbers are embroidered in two strands of DMC 310. The black borders are peeped seams (I think that's what they are called). I cut my fabric 1" wide and pressed it in half length-ways. I then used a big stitch and a 1/8" seam allowance and basted them around the edges of the embroidered blocks. Then when I added the white sashing, I stitched them into the seam properly, leaving just 1/4" showing. This is one of the few times I press my seams closed, as otherwise the black would show through the white.


The quilting is pretty simple - echoing inside and outside the black borders. And the binding is sewn down by hand to keep it as narrow as possible and mirror the peeped seams.

A little bit of blue tac and my wall is perfect again!

This is aother tick on my Q4 Finish Along list!

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Marly said…
Slainte, Jennie, just in time for the festive season! Whether yours is whiskey or whisky, Guinness or Ginger wine, here's to a prosperous and creative 2015!
(And this is the funniest way I've ever seen to cover a hole in the wall!)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more