Skip to main content

#1yearofstitches [Week 8]

We fell back in love this week. Partly because I changed my approach. Instead of adding more and move curved lines echoing the one's I'd done before, I bravely stitched into the virgin edges of the hoop. And I love how just one line of stitching can open up so many possibilities. Here she is at the end of week 8.




Monday, 20th February: Laced Arrow Head stitch (bottom right) in green and laced with pink (which it turns out just makes it look brown).

Tuesday, 21st February: Straights stitch in green around that swirl that I wasn't loving. It became blanket stitch as I emerged from the swirl, but this is the one piece of stitching from this week that I'm not happy with and I may go back and redo it.

Wednesday, 22nd February: Feathered chain stitch in blue (far right).

Thursday, 23rd February: Heart in blue using a variation on lazy daisy stitch. I didn't have much time on Thursday so I moved forward what I had planned to do on the 24th. This heart is for Mia who was three on Friday.

Friday, 24th February: A combination of yellow cross stitches and mustard/gold French knots to try and improve that section on the far left. I think it worked.

Saturday. 25th February: Two rows of green blanket stitch interlinking with each other (top centre, vertically). Love the look of this combination.

Sunday, 26th February: Twisted chain stitch in yellow (top right). After so long stitching chain stitch and carefully avoiding the twist, I struggled to find my rhythm with this stitch. Stitching the line wonky and having to unpick and do it all again gave me plenty of practice, however. And it's definitely a stitch I will be revisiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more