Skip to main content

January [review]

We're a month down already! My plan was to slow down a bit this year with a bias towards hand-sewing. And that has definitely been happening. The project I've been enjoying the most has been the #1yearofstitches hoop. Read about some of the background here, but the basic premise is a stitch a day for a year. This is my hoop at the end of January. No plan, no pressure, just 15 minutes or so every day. I love seeing this develop.


I've also been doing a fair amount of English Paper Piecing. I received the first installment of the Dear Jane paper pieces programme mid-month and I've been busy stitching up the blocks. Some of the pieces are TINY! I need to remember that if I don't add the sashing as I go I will hate myself and never finish this project!


There's been time spent at the machine too, don't worry! I've been making blocks for a number of projects and despite saying that 2017 wasn't about blocks, at least not in the way 2016 was, I made over 70 in January! I completed all the blocks for my #365 quilt. I've stalled a bit on adding the borders - I hate long seams, but I have a plan to get me over the finish line, so I hope to share this with you soon. Iv'e also been making blocks for  Baby Finn's quilt. He arrived at the start of the month and he needs his quilt. Not quite over the finish line, but progress!


I've also dabbled in the Farmer's Wife, the Splendid Sampler, #52weekswiththequiltersplanner and #snailday. I need to post some updates for both the Farmer's Wife and the Splendid Sampler because I've made progress recently and haven't shared! But this is one of my recent Splendid Sampler blocks and it might just be my favourite!



I finally got round to starting my giant Swoon quilt - I need 16 blocks.


And I revisted an old project - this is Fireworks and I hadn't touched it in 3 years!


And what about finishes: slim pickings this month, but I love this hexy cushion. Sadly, it has been pilfered... apparently it's Mia's new cushion!


Onwards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more