Skip to main content

January stitching

A new year means some new projects.

The first of these projects started in December and will continue all year. Back in September, Debbie, from Letters Tied with Blue, asked me to stitch some models for her, which I have done. It is a set of 12 Calendar Girlies, one for each month. I decided to stitch the set as Christmas presents. Initally I planned to do a set for Granny and a set for Sheila, then we had the idea that Aunty Mary and Aunty Margaret would like it too. Then Aunty Barbara said how much she would like them, and Linda made some less than subtle comments. In the end I stitched 6 January Calendar Girlies which I gave as Christmas presents with the promise that Miss January would be followed by 11 sisters throughout the year.



This is Miss January (one of my favourites). The fabric came from the Fat Quarters - I thought it looked wintry without being Christmassy.


Throughout January I was stitching 6 Miss Februaries. This fabric also came from the Fat Quarters - I think they look better when the fabric background colour is not cream - I shall bear that in mind for the next ten Girlies.


All stitcheries were very well recieved.






In the last post you will have seen that I stitched a needlecase for Aunty Catherine for Christmas. I loved the design so much that I decided to do one for myself as well. I bought some batik fabrics from Threads and Patches in Bletchley when we went to stay with Mum and Dad at new year. The colours are abolsutely gorgeous, all blues and greens. Instead of doing a pincushion inside I bought some felt and put in two sheets for needles. I embroidered the words "tapestry", "embroidery", "general", "quiting" and "beading" as well as the numbers "24", "26" and "28" to organize the needles.
I also had a play with some more unusual embroidery stitches from the Nikki Tinkler book that Granny gave me.


My main Christmas present from Mum and from Linda was the pattern and fabric for a new quilt - Tail Feathers. I won't get the fabric until Easter, so in the meantime I am contenting myself with doing some of the smaller stitchery designs as birthday cards: The first ine if for Aunty Mary








The two smaller ones are for Anne and Denise



Of course, the top priority for January was to finish off Charlotte from John Clayton's Elegance range for Granny. And that is what I did. I was so pleased with the result. At Christmas I was given the second Elegance lady to stitch - Amelia. But she may have to wait.
A number of other projects are ongoing. I have made some good progress with the yellow tablecloth for Mum - all of the pieces have been cut and I have made a good start on attaching the slivers to the squares to make up the individual blocks.
I have made a start on the Holy Family kit that I bought to stitch for Uncle Terry. Instead of stitching it on 14hpi fabric, I'm stitching it on 18hpi aida. The fabric is also black. I'm finding it a lot easier to stitch than I had I had thought. I haven't done masses of it yet, but it is coming together very quickly.
That was it for January....except for some patchwork.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more