Sunday, 6 February 2011

January stitching

A new year means some new projects.

The first of these projects started in December and will continue all year. Back in September, Debbie, from Letters Tied with Blue, asked me to stitch some models for her, which I have done. It is a set of 12 Calendar Girlies, one for each month. I decided to stitch the set as Christmas presents. Initally I planned to do a set for Granny and a set for Sheila, then we had the idea that Aunty Mary and Aunty Margaret would like it too. Then Aunty Barbara said how much she would like them, and Linda made some less than subtle comments. In the end I stitched 6 January Calendar Girlies which I gave as Christmas presents with the promise that Miss January would be followed by 11 sisters throughout the year.

This is Miss January (one of my favourites). The fabric came from the Fat Quarters - I thought it looked wintry without being Christmassy.

Throughout January I was stitching 6 Miss Februaries. This fabric also came from the Fat Quarters - I think they look better when the fabric background colour is not cream - I shall bear that in mind for the next ten Girlies.

All stitcheries were very well recieved.

In the last post you will have seen that I stitched a needlecase for Aunty Catherine for Christmas. I loved the design so much that I decided to do one for myself as well. I bought some batik fabrics from Threads and Patches in Bletchley when we went to stay with Mum and Dad at new year. The colours are abolsutely gorgeous, all blues and greens. Instead of doing a pincushion inside I bought some felt and put in two sheets for needles. I embroidered the words "tapestry", "embroidery", "general", "quiting" and "beading" as well as the numbers "24", "26" and "28" to organize the needles.
I also had a play with some more unusual embroidery stitches from the Nikki Tinkler book that Granny gave me.

My main Christmas present from Mum and from Linda was the pattern and fabric for a new quilt - Tail Feathers. I won't get the fabric until Easter, so in the meantime I am contenting myself with doing some of the smaller stitchery designs as birthday cards: The first ine if for Aunty Mary

The two smaller ones are for Anne and Denise

Of course, the top priority for January was to finish off Charlotte from John Clayton's Elegance range for Granny. And that is what I did. I was so pleased with the result. At Christmas I was given the second Elegance lady to stitch - Amelia. But she may have to wait.
A number of other projects are ongoing. I have made some good progress with the yellow tablecloth for Mum - all of the pieces have been cut and I have made a good start on attaching the slivers to the squares to make up the individual blocks.
I have made a start on the Holy Family kit that I bought to stitch for Uncle Terry. Instead of stitching it on 14hpi fabric, I'm stitching it on 18hpi aida. The fabric is also black. I'm finding it a lot easier to stitch than I had I had thought. I haven't done masses of it yet, but it is coming together very quickly.
That was it for January....except for some patchwork.....

No comments: