Skip to main content

Jennie Rayment

I did something completely different this weekend. Linda and Aunty Barbara and I spent Saturday and Sunday doing two day-long workshops with Jennie Rayment (the Calico Queen) at the Fat Quarters.



The first day was three blocks from Jennie's new book called Roman Candle, Girandole and Trumpet Cracker. Jennie's technique is different from anything I've tried before, though similar in theory to traditional Cathedral Window Patchwork. The basis of the technique is that a square of fabric, folded on the diagonal, then the raw edges sewn into seams, results in a shape of fabric that can be manipulated and rolled - and the folded edge, being on the bias, will roll into a curve. It was absolutely fascinating to see the blocks come together. I have finished piecing the blocks, but haven't finished rolling and curving yet - here are some photos so far:


This is the Roman Candle (above). The central red area is made up on eight separate pieces and you roll back the edges to create petal shapes, exposing the yellow fabric underneath.


This is Trumpet Cracker (above) and just needs some rolling round the edges.

And this is Girandole, also without much more to do to complete it. I'll post some more photos when they are rolled and finished. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, so any suggestions would be gratefully received. One of the other ideas for these designs is to do them entirely in calico, which looked very elegant and emphasizes the different textures, rather than the colours. I'd love to try this at some point in the future - along with all of the other projects....

The second day was a class using the same techniques, but creating one large piece:
It uses the same idea of folding a triangle then rolling back the edges. It's fully pieced as you see it above and the third and fourth triangles from the bottom have had their edges rolled (but it doesn't show very well in the photo. I have a better idea of what I'm going to do with this one. Once I've rolled all my edges, I'm going to embroider "Count you Rainbows not you Thunder Stoms" around the edge, the quilt it and make it into a wall hanging.

Last weekend I finally finished my log cabin cutting mat bag: the red centres were two inches square and the strips were 1 and a half inch wide. I stitched 12 blocks for each side of the bag, then pieced them together. I quilted down the seams then lined the bag with calico with a black strip round the top. I then top-stitched round the top of the bag and added handles in the red fabric I'd used for the log cabin centres.



Comments

Wendy said…
Your work looks amazing Jennie, very beautiful. I love the wall hanging and can imagine it with embroidered words around it!! And beautiful bag!!
ali khan said…
its really nice designs, thank you jannie, your blog is very interesting and nice, appreciated and keep it up
http://www.fashiontrends.pk/

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more