Skip to main content

Memory Book

Well, it has been a month since my last post and I have been very busy. I started off the month working on the memory book for Jen and Geoff as a wedding present. The colour scheme of the wedding was purple and back in March I had bought some lovely purple and green coordinating fabrics from the patchwork shop at the Mill in Barton. The poem I used was one written for the marriage of Jen's great grandparents in the 1880s and has been read at every family wedding since, so it was a very special piece to use. I chose DMC threads to match the colours on the fabrics, calico as the pages and a smal piece of dark purple fabric for some of the pockets, then added Mill Hill beads in white and pinky-purple and some mother-of-pearl buttons in two sizes to complete the memory book. I used stamps from Letters Tied with Blue throughout.




Here's the front cover of the book. The ribbon round the spine was a perfect match to the purples in the fabric and came from the Sewing Box in Morpeth. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to find it.








On the inside of the cover you can see the green fabric with the same patter as the purple, and the diagonal pocket was cut from a different section of the purple fabric used on the fron - it was amazing the change in the pattern over a fat quarter of the fabric.



The dark purple on the left page is a pocket and I attached some beads to the right hand corner.











This was my favourite double page spread, with the matching borders on left and right stamped with stamps from Letters Tied with Blue, and then highlighted with embroidery and beads.

The green heart uses the fabric from the inside cover and is attached with heat and bond, then I did a backstitch round the stamped edge of the design in dark green and then blanket stitch in light green round the very edge.






This is the centre page with one large pocket across the bottom, split with the centre seam. The green fabric is embellished with litte groups of the white beads, that have taken up the colour of the green, and also with a group of buttons.














This was the page that caused me the most problems, as before the buttons it looked quite dull. I was very pleased (and relieved) with the difference the buttons made!







The pockets on this page are made from the two fabrics used for the cover (purple on the outside and green on the inside) and once again show the variety of pattern and colour in one fabric print.





















Here's the inside back cover, also with a diagonal pocket
















And finally here is the back cover. The photos are printed on cotton that has a backing and goes through a normal ink jet printer (thank you Linda). I had to use heat and bond to attach them and then I did blanket stitch round the edge and embroidered the date




And the best part was: Jen and Geoff were thrilled with it! It was a wonderful success. Thank you to Debbie, at Letters Tied with Blue, for first introducing us to the memory book technique!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more