Skip to main content

Sew Thinky Thursday [catching up again]

I'm back in the UK. For now at least. Two weeks and then I'm back in Budapest for two weeks - at least that's the plan.

I missed Sew Thinky Thursday again, so this will be another late contribution... maybe next week I'll get back on track!
  SewThinkyThurs button

With a little help I've even managed to add the button! This week's question is: Describe your quilting style: Who or what influences you? How do you see your style changing over time?

I'm not sure I can think of one word to describe my style, and I think descriptions like that can be very personal - what I describe as modern may not be modern to you. The one thing I  do know about my style is that I love anything which is fiddly - tiny, complicated, lots of pieces, hand and machine. I do love modern, but I haven't yet quite got as far as improvisational piecing. I also like traditional...
I come from an embroidery background
This was my embroidery design as part of the first ever swap I took part in last year

My style has definitely changed over time and I think it coincides with getting more involved in the online quilting community. Before I blogged and read blogs I was very influenced by my local quilt shop, which of course represents the tastes of the owner and the local quilters - there is a fair amount of French General, American Jane, Thimbleberries, Red Rooster - fabrics in "murky colours" which aren't my taste at all - she also has a wide variety of Moda and Art Gallery, batiks and some really random fabrics which are gorgeous.
My Farmer's Wife - nice and fiddly!
I love traditional designs and techniques as much as the modern - even the most traditional of techniques, like EPP, can be "modern" with the right fabric and setting - I think so, at least!
EPP Hexies
About this time last year, there was a modern mini quilt challenge and I went through my very small stash looking for "modern" fabric and I was thoroughly disappointed and grumpy because there wasn't any. Since then I have started to better understand what I like in fabric - I stick to fabrics with mostly one main colour - blenders - and then combine them myself, not always sticking to ranges. I adore text print. I learning to love solids - if only when I combine them with prints. 
Foundation piecing - I picked the 6" block over the 12" block!
My husband does not need to know quite how much I have spent in "developing" my stash taste over the past year!
All from my stash! My colours for the Skill Builder BOM
I'm really struggling to pinpoint my style, but as I read more, see more and learn more, I am developing my own unique style influenced by everything around me. For an idea of the blogs which influence me, just look at the list to the left!
Colours don't scare me! My Swoon Quilt.
Thanks for stopping by and listening to my waffle for a while!

Comments

I really enjoyed your post. I'd describe my style as eclectic. I love solids and text fabrics but sometimes I can really like a print collection. I mostly seem to sew gifts and for bees so I often go more with what I think someone else will like. I've become a follower so I'll come back later and look more at your sewing :)
Wens said…
I know what you're saying! I don't feel I have a 'style' either. I like a lot of things, but I'm glad that I do! I'd get bored if I was too focused on one type of quilting, or just specific fabrics.

Your red swoon quilt is awesome!
ChristaQuilts said…
Your embroidery is very pretty. That's the one thing I haven't tried yet :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more