Skip to main content

Thimbleblossoms Mini Quilt Swap

This was a tough swap. The swap was all about using a pattern by Camille Roskelly. It wasn't a Bonnie and Camille swap. And that's why I signed up - I love Thimbleblossom patterns, but I don't love B and C fabric. Unfortunately I seemed to be in the minority, and my partner was an avid B and C fan. I didn't get much further guidance on fabric, so with no B and C fabric to hand I decided that everyone likes scrappy rainbows. Right?


The next problem was that the patterns I love and the patterns she loved didn't have much cross over. I picked out the one that was common (because whilst it's important to follow my partner's likes, if I can't stand what I'm making, it's not going to end well). I chose Starlight.  The finished quilt, in the pattern, was 12"x 15". The swap requirements were for a minimum size of 16" x 16". Starlight is an equilateral triangle pattern, and my equilateral triangle maths is pretty much non-existent. I knew I needed to make it bigger, and I thought I had worked out how many extra units I needed. Fail.

I did get my GCSE maths. Honest. I realised I had cut only half of what I needed. Luckily I had done this well enough in advance to shove it an box and sulk for a while. And when I pulled it out again it just looked like a total scrappy mess. And not in a good way.

By being an ostrich and sticking my head in the sand and ignoring it, it was too late at this point to start again... so I ploughed on, adding a very dark navy for the larger triangles. And boy, did I underestimate how long it would take to piece this together. The number of seams coming together was not fun. It's not perfect, but all of a sudden, I liked it again! The dark triangles gave the eye somewhere to rest away from the scrappy madness! And it was just big enough (16" x 18"). I quilted it up with simple straight lines (there's enough going on in this quilt already), trimmed it and bound it. Ta-dah!



I really liked it, but was still very unsure whether it would suit my partner or not. I was happier with the extra I had created: a little zippy pouch! There was a mandatory three extras for this swap, so I added a few shop-bought goodies too!


My partner, Sew Hoity Toity received the parcel today and, to my huge relief, she is thrilled with it - I was very lucky especially with the extras I sent and hit on some of her favourites!

And I got a fantastic quilt all the way from Australia too. This came from @quiltingwithkim and a certain small person thinks it's for her...may be I'll share.


With some lovely goodies! Mia has been eyeing up the kangaroo on the shopping bag already! And that pincushion is in Kate Spain's new line, Canyon. I'm really tempted with a fat quarter bundle which I would then use, keeping with the theme, to make a Swoon quilt for our bed. But it's so hard to buy fabric without having seen it in real life!


The mini quilt I sent was on my Q3 Finish Along list, so that's another tick

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

So was the zippy pouch, but I'll link that up separately.

Comments

Kay said…
great swap. It really can be hard when your partner has very different tastes to you, you really do have to work on something that makes you happy too. Great results in the end. x
Kay said…
great swap. It really can be hard when your partner has very different tastes to you, you really do have to work on something that makes you happy too. Great results in the end. x
Anthea said…
Jennie, you ended up with a lovely finish after all your challenges!
I know what you mean about B&C - the ranges are so very popular - but they're not to everyone's taste. You stuck to the swap criteria, which is the right thing to do...
Lin said…
Your quilt is gorgeous Jennie, of course she was delighted! And I love the little pouch too. The quilt you received is also lovely and the goodies look good too. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more