Sunday, 19 June 2016

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly.

I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends.



I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday



Earlier this month, Fat Quarter Shop released a pretty little pincushion design. Perfect. Knowing I had cut all the blocks, I could use the scraps to cut for the pincushions.




The lace I've used has also been in my stash for a few years: I bought it for a particular project and then the person it was for bought one from a shop.... but it went beautifully with the look of these fabrics.

For the first time ever I used wire wool as well as stuffing to fill out the pincushion. It seems to be working so far. I made four pincushions: one for me, one for my mother-in-law, one for another family member and one for the organizer of our local patchwork group whose birthday it is.

3 comments:

Lin said...

Your blocks are looking great - good luck with that deadline!! Pretty pincushions and always useful. What an interesting filler - I have longed for some ground walnut shells to use for pincushions but now I have it, it's sitting in the cupboard and I have not made a pincushion in ages!! Have a great week. xx

Anthea said...

great fabrics for your blocks Jennie... the pincushions are so cute, I must go check out that pattern, thanks for the link

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love those pin cushions!