Sunday, 12 June 2016

The Summer Sampler [the first four]

The Summer Sampler: I am addicted to both quilt-alongs and sampler quilts, so this project ticked all the boxes for me. Twenty blocks over twenty weeks. Requirements: 20 fat quarters. In honour of #sewmystash2016 I pulled out a hoarded fat quarter bundle of Dreamin' Vintage by Jeni Baker for Art Gallery Fabrics made up of 20 fat quarters. A beautifully summery range of fabric for a summery quilt. Perfect for the girls of the house! And yes - at the back there in the photo is enough fabric to back the quilt too!



I was very excited on the day the first block was released, and made up my first block. And I didn't love it. I was really disappointed about it.



The second block was released a week later. I'd thought about it a bit and decided that the off-white Art Gallery Pure Element I had was going to make an appearance: perhaps a bit of  solid in there would help the prints in the range shine. I liked it better. But still didn't love it.


Final roll of the dice. I did some research online and found the list of coordinating solids from Jeni's website. I found a UK shop with seven in stock and ordered them. When they arrived, I made the third block. This was more like it! But didn't I make a hash of those curves. I'm perfectly capable, but really....


So I went back and remade block 1 and I am so much happier with it. Instead of a scrappy centre, I fussy cut one of the larger motifs from the range and calmed it down with two of the solids.



And then I proceeded to block 4.



I'm going to leave block 2 until the end and then see if that needs to be remade too. But for now I'm so pleased I finally like where this quilt is going. I've hoarded this fabric for two years waiting for just the right project. I'm looking forward to getting the next block instructions tomorrow!

3 comments:

Lin said...

I think you have made the right decision there Jennie with those coordinating solids - great blocks. xx

Archie the wonder dog said...

I think block four is my favourite, but they're all lovely!

Anthea said...

Hi Jennie
Great job on the blocks, amazing how sometimes it takes a few attempts to love something, then it clicks... very nice solids & range you're using.
x