Friday, 26 August 2011

Lots more Farmer's Wife blocks

There is no way my Farmer can possibly still be feeling neglected. Since my last post I have been doing a block a day.






Here they are: The first one was Shooting Star. I got a bit grumpy with all of the random triangles - I'd pin them on, flip them over and they would be going the wrong way, so I'd unpin them, repin them, and they would still be the wrong way. But I got there in the end: some of the seams get a bit chunky, but I like the end result.


After the Shooting Star, I wanted something a bit easier, so I tried Puss in the Corner: really quick and really pretty (and more purple than it looks in the photo!).


Next I did Waterwheel. This is one of my favourites so far and I would love to see it across a complete quilt top. It makes me think of jigsaws.





And finally I did Cups and Saucers in a whacky green and pink batik.




I was getting quite concerned about the amount of fabric I was wasting through foundation piecing. Somewhere on the Flickr group in the depths of a discussion thread, someone suggested using the templates to cut the pieces roughly and then foundation piece. I've now done this on a couple of blocks with virtually no wastage and less agravation from the triangles, so whoever's idea this was - thank you.



I'm home from work on Friday and it's the August bank Holiday - three days of patchwork stretches ahead of me - heaven.

2 comments:

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

I am loving those fabrics. The way you used the blues in the waterwheel block is just fabulous. I 'sew' wish I hd three days to spend on this quilt, but... the kiddos would strongly object, LOL!
~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

Linni said...

Wow what a quilt this will turn out to be! I am really smitten with the choices you are making, so lovely. I have just done shooting star too and it just about did my head in! I agree that there is a bit of wastage with paper piecing although I have tried to reduce it as much as possible. Most of the time its fine but blocks like the shooting star are hard to not waste on.
Lovely.