Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Wilding Angels

This summer is the summer of finishing projects (and if the last few weeks are anything to go by, also the the summer of buying fabric).



The first project I decided to concentrate on is now finished! This is my finished Wilding Angels Quilt. The colour hasn't come out very well, but it's a dark, rich red and the thread matches this.




I bought all the patterns and materials on my 25th birthday. 18 months later and the quilt is now hanging in our dining room. I had a few issues on route - I was so enjoying the stitcheries that I didn't want to do them too quickly, so I took a break, then when I cam to stitch the central panel, the calico I had bought to stitch it on had faded in the sun, so I had tobuy some new fabric - luckily it's fairly standard. Lesson learnt: store things away from direct sunlight. Then I cam to make up the final quilt and there was a problem with the pieces I have cut - I don't know what happened, but I ended up needing some more of the red fabric. This was over a year after I had first bought it and the Fat Quarters had sold out. Luckily another local shop had a small amount left - I bought the last metre they had (phew). I hand quilted around the individual panels and finally finished it on Sunday evening.



It very nearly didn't get finished on Sunday as we had an unscheduled trip to A&E on Sunday evening. It turns out that my husband broke his finger playing football - his finger collided with Steven's backside (I have no idea how) and now he has a splint on it for the next six weeks!



I have also spent a lot of time recently working on the Rhubarb and Custard quilt. I have quilted each individual heart block and it's ready to put together, but once I laid the finished blocks out on the sashing fabric it all looked a bit busy and garish. I think I'll look for a plain fabric to sash and then use the original sahsing fabric to bind. We'll see how that goes next time I'm at the shop (or maybe Harrogate), but for the time being that project is back in it's box.



My next projects are Mum's yellow tablecloth and the Nikki Tinkler Sampler Quilt.



The other part of my summer (the buying fabric part) started before Sidmouth, but continued last weekend at the Fat Quarters where I bought some of their Snow Queen fabrics (by Northcott Fabrics). I bought five fat quarters of the snowflakes and starts fabrics and then a fat quarters of the stripey farbic and some cream fabric for stitcheries. I don't know quite what I want to to do with them but I want to design something myself... watch this space.



The other fabric was Count Down to Christmas from Moda (see the link for the random website for some really good pictures). I loved all of the fabrics so bought a Jelly Roll. We're doing a jelly roll smapler quilt class and this would look lovely on the sofa at Christmas.



I also bought some more of the Ambrosia fabrics to make the quilt up to a single bed size. Since the last time we were in they have got a Kona Solid in beautiful pinky red that will be perfect for the binding.



Lots of yummy projects to be working on.

No comments: