Skip to main content

We must be mad.....

I can think of no reason for a sane person to cut out 57 (very small) pieces and sew them back together again to create a block only 6inch square. Insanity is the only reason I can think of! And also that fact that it's soooo pretty! You guessed it - I've been working on the Farmer's Wife Quilt again!






But, if you've ready yesterday morning's post, you'll know I've already done my two for the week. Well, I got seduced. By a very pretty purple batik that wasn't bought for my Farmer.

Regular readers (i.e. Mum) will know that throughout 2011 I've been stitching Calendar Girlies, designed by Debbie from Letters Tied with Blue - 6 a month for 6 special people as a Christmas present. And today I finished the first of the November Calendar Girlies, ready to be posted in time for November. Here she is:

The fabric is a purple batik (that hasn't photographed well) that my Mum helped me chose back in December last year from Threads and Patches because the pattern looked like fireworks, so was perfect for November. Once I had cut all the fabric I needed for my Calendar Girlies, I had just enough left for a Farmer's Wife block. I hadn't intended to stitch it here and now, but it was just sooooo pretty. So I picked a straightforward block that just wanted one fabric: #31 Evening Star. It went together pretty quickly and my points meet. So I'm very please.

Then I thought I'd have a flick through the book before putting tea on - fatal. Next thing I know, I'm picking fabric for another block. I hadn't purposely chosen a block with 57 pieces, but the centre of Block #87 Garden Star, is an Evening Star, so it seemed appropriate. It took me a few hours to complete, but I am so thrilled with it - my points meet! I'm still surprised when this happens :)
Yesterday and this morning were also spent with a needle. First project yesterday was block number 12 of the Mystery Block of the Month from The Fat Quarters - it's the last block after a year - the only mystery left is how we will put them all together - I hope it doesn't use too much more of the green and pink fabrics I've been using, as I have my eye on them for something else! I really like this block and may adapt it to replace one of the Farmer's Wife blocks I'm not keen on.
Then I went onto my Jelly Roll quilt using the Moda Countdown to Christmas fabrics. These blocks are so relaxing (especially after the Farmer) so I may do another non-Christmassy one to go with it - I've bought an Amelia Jelly Roll that keeps looking at me and I keep stroking! I've now done the four blocks I need to before the next class.
And still I kept going: this time last year I bought a Cinderberry Stitches pattern called the Night Before Christmas - it's the first few lines of the famous poem, which I love, surrounded by mice and flowers. Aunty Barbara saw it and said she'd like one. Linda saw it and said the same. I bought it because I like it. That means I have three to make. Needless to say, none of those were ready for Christmas 2010. In July I made a start on the project as it was small and portable for my summer holiday. Yesterday I finished the final embroidery and this afternoon I made up the front of the quilt. I'm not sure how I'll quilt it. At the moment I'm just enjoying looking at it!If you are still with me, thank you! It's been a busy weekend. If you have a few spare minutes, check out all of the other people's blogs who took part in the Friday Night Sew In - there's some really lovely stuff!

Comments

Mrs A said…
Beautiful work, love your colour choices and fabulous blocks!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more