I used quite a lot of Kate Spain fabrics in this rosette. The aqua around the centre is a Cotton and Steel basic cut so you can't see the dots, the dark blue star centres are Pearl Bracelets and the star points are a shot cotton. I had originally basted enough pieces for 8 stars, but once I started piecing I was quite concerned that there wasn't enough contrast between the large pentagons and the star points. So I stopped with just 4 stars. However, since I stopped, this rosette has really grown on me, so I'm going to add on the remaining stars as originally planned. The lower contrast means that different shapes jump out at you when you look at it, which in a quilt of many similar blocks is quite a good thing, I think.
I started a rosette using an Art Gallery fabric from Carnaby Street as my inspiration. I've only pieced the very centre so far, and haven't added on the inspiration fabric yet. But it is started, and I'm pretty pleased with how the fussy cutting in the centre turned out!
And then, just before we went on holiday I had a brainwave to make an Architextures rosette, using only Architextures fabric from Carolyn Friedlander. This is one of my all time favourite fabric lines and I'm getting close to running out of some of the prints now, which is very sad.
This started out as one of the smaller rosette - I'd planned just to go out to the first round of stars using lime green, plum and orange. But then I decided to keep going and add in the blue and more green. I've got as far as adding the light blue ring, and I've just started on the navy. A lower volume blue round and some green stars to complete and this will be one of the four big rosettes in my finished quilt.
This was all of the rosettes a couple of weeks ago. I love where this is going. I'm not doing a great deal of fussy cutting - mostly just making sure the pattern is straight, but I love how this makes the fabric itself the focus and you don't lose the shapes you are piecing in the business of many patterns.
I think this is close to how they will go together in the finished quilt.... but with the blue top right moved next to the purple and lime green. And a few rosettes in between.
Linking up with WIP Wednesday for the first time in a few weeks.