First up my first block for a new project. A few years ago I came across the Basic Grey fabric line 'Sweet Serenade'. I liked it, but it's not very me. But that didn't stop me buying a few fat quarters. It then struck me how perfect it would be for a good friend, who in making her subtle hints about a quilt had mentioned "beach colours". I'm pretty sure that the blue is sea-y and the peach from this line is reminiscent of cliffs... and the music theme in this line is also perfect.
About the same time I came across an online sampler quilt called the Jane Austen Family Album Sampler Quilt. I'm not sure whether the friend I have in mind is a Jane Austen fan, but I am so I'll enjoy that aspect as well. I made sure I bought enough fabric at the time to finish the quilt top. But that quilt along finished in December 2014. I've finally got round to starting it today.
This first block is called Shining Star and is for Jane herself. Rather than following the cutting instructions, I foundation pieced this block in quarters. I had to buy a new iron yesterday and I don't think it's as hot as my old one, as I struggled to get the freezer paper to adhere to the fabric, which made it a little frustrating. But I'm pleased with how the block looks finished.
I've been continuing to work on my Farmer's Wife blocks, but have shuddered to a bit of a halt. First up, here are some of my recent blocks:
|Rosemary - there were so many foundation pieced units in this block I thought I'd never finish!|
|Hope - even the partial seam couldn't stop this being a lovely block to make|
And I've made two more Splendid Sampler blocks. I haven't committed to making all these blocks - just the ones I like. This is Simple Simon
And Focal Point
I had a bit of a whoopsie when I was cutting for Focal Point and mixed up the cutting instructions for the dark blue and the white. Rather than re-cut I went with it and I really like how it ended up. The next block is an embroidery one. Rather than make it for the quilt, it will be perfect for the nursery in an embroidery!
And finally I have been keeping up with the #365quiltchallenge blocks:at the end of February I was surprised with the release of the pattern for the centre medallion. It was a bit of a sod: partly because of the cutting instructions requiring accuracy to a sixteenth of an inch; and partly due to my own stupidity. Remember... when foundation piecing, the patchwork comes out as a mirror image to what you are intending. And because I went for a scrappy centre, this mattered. My colour wheel will spin the opposite direction to intended in the final quilt.
|Quite a bad photo, but it does prove we got some sun in the north east!|