Yep - you read that right - a finish! 2017 is turning in to the year of the baby around here and that means a lot of quilts need to be made. I tend to work in arrears, so the recipient of this quilt was born in January. So only 6 months late - which is about average for me!
A few months ago I bought the Fancy Forest pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. At £22 it was about the limit of what I would pay for a pattern to be honest. But I am going to make sure I use it. This quilt uses just the owl block, and I picked the layout myself. My next finish will show you just the fireflies. I have another quilt in the works which is just the foxes. Then I decided to actually follow the pattern, and I'm making a baby quilt as shown, using all the animals. I know there will be another baby owl quilt in the summer, my mother-in-law has already requested a full size owl one (and I've found the perfect fabric for the negative space), and my eldest daughter has made it very clear that she does not appreciate all these quilts being given to other people - so I'm going to make the full size quilt from the pattern for us to keep. I think I'll get my money's worth out of this! And once I'm done with this pattern, Awesome Ocean, Elizabeth Hartman's latest pattern, may have be purchased as well. Not only do I love that this pattern is so versatile, it is also such a well written, well-illustrated pattern! Everything is rotary cut, and then there are lots of covered corners which could easily go wrong - but her diagrams are faultless - even at my most sleep-deprived I knocked out a firefly block with no problem!
The fabrics are mostly Kona solids, with the odd random piece for good measure. The background is my favourite part of the whole quilt: it's a navy with tiny pale blue stars from "To the Moon and Back" from Lewis and Irene. I've just ordered another 5 metres of it for our very own Fancy Forest! It's backed with a navy sheet.
Knowing how to quilt it was hard. In the end I stitched in the ditch around each owl, then did a 3" cross hatch in the background in Aurifil navy thread. The finished quilt is 44" x 39".
This is a Finish Along finish! You can find my original list here.