Skip to main content

The Best Day Ever

Yesterday was absolutely the BEST DAY EVER! And I warn you, this post has a lot of photos! I spent it down at Simply Solids in Slaithewaite who were hosting a day with Tula Pink! Yes - Tula Pink. Now, I am not a fan girl - I like some of her fabric, not others. I love her books, but don't own them all - although the City Sampler is possibly my favourite quilt book of them all. In fact, I hadn't booked a ticket for the event - it wasn't until last week, when a cancellation came up, that I decided to go - but boy was that a good call.

To start with, I don't live near Huddersfield... I got up at 4am, and I am not a 4am type person. I did a couple of pick ups, we dodged the traffic on the M62 and made it to Slaithewaite in time for breakfast.
This quilt may have to be added to the list... I love it!


The morning was a lecture with Tula Pink in the local hall. It was amazing. She is an excellent public speaker, talking about the realities of designing fabric - her process, the process from an idea in her head to our local quilt shops. She had some of her quilts with her too. They were all beautiful! Bright colours, fabulous designs and the quilting ... it was as exciting to see some Angela Walter's quilting close up as it was to Tula's quilts. I will forever aspire to quilt like that!


After a lovely lunch, we attended a workshop with Tula. It was an English Paper Piecing workshop and we started her Tula Nova quilt.


Luckily for me, this was a quilt that was already on my list and I already had the papers for. Tula gave us tips on fussy cutting, basting and sewing - some of it I knew, lots of it was new! I am taking so much away from what she taught us! Here is the small start I made.



Of course, it would have been rude to make it in non-Tula fabrics, so I splashed out on some of her new All Stars fabric. I was fairly late coming to Tula's fabrics, and I've never really fallen for a line until Spirit Animal - her latest range with the otters.

But I embraced the day and pre-ordered some of the larger scale animal prints that she is re-releasing all shiny and new for this range. And they are beautiful! Totally different to what I normally buy, but so bright and colourful, delicious colours, and so many things to look at - the detail is amazing. I think I may have to reassess my "love her patterns, not sure about the fabrics" to "Love it all", because I have totally fallen for it, and I will look at all of her future ranges with new eyes!





Tula was so friendly and approachable. She was travelling with her Mum, who was just as lovely. The ladies at Simply Solids, Justine and Lisa, had worked so hard to make the day a success and it really was! And it was so nice to spend a day in a room full of like-minded people and meet in real life some of the people in my phone!

It really was the best day ever, and I'm still buzzing!

Comments

Lin said…
Sounds like a really fab day - I love those spots and stripes. xx
Sounds like a brilliant day!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more