Skip to main content

Farmer's Wife, Mystery BOM and a Sewing Machine Cover

I have now recovered from passing my driving test - it was very strange driving the car by myself for the first time. So far, that has only been to the chip shop and back and to Linda's and back - each drive lasting a good 5 minutes. But today I drove Linda over to our latest patchwork class at the Fat Quarters - it's about 40 minutes each way and involves the worst roundabout in the North East (Moor Farm) and the A1. I did ok, and also enjoyed it.





Of course, the drive to the Fat Quarters was not without good reason! Linda and I went to a class to make a sewing machine cover. It's a design from the 1oth Birthday edition of Homespun magazine. The main body is made from Osnabruck Linen - it's a fairly large weave linen with all the inclusions. The fabrics are a bit of mixture, but definitely include some (one) Moda. The "stitch" is hand embroidered and I added buttons. And round the edges is my first ever attempt at piping, which is no where near as tricky as I thought it would be! Although mine isn't perfect, I'm vervy pleased with my first attempt. My sewing machine was determined that it did not want a new home and broke two needles in the process of making it!






I've been up to other things during the week. My duties as a Farmer's Wife continue: This week I have made another two blocks: #54 Kitchen Woodbox and #77 Seasons. Both were foundation pieced, and I'm realy pleased with the accuracy of my seams.




















I've also continued with block 8 of the mystery block of the month from the Fat Quarters. All of my blocks are in pastel greens and pinks. There will be twelve blocks in total and I think fresh white sashing will make the finished quilts look lovely and fresh and spring like. I now have block 9 to make.




And today I just couldn't resist some new fabrics that were just in at the Fat Quarters. they are reds and greens, but not at all Christmassy - I think of Christmas when I see those two fabrics together normally but these are really summary with leaves, cherries and hearts. I've borrowed a book on fat quarters quilts from Linda and I think I'll have go :) yummy stitching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive