Skip to main content

Farmer's Wife Friday

I know it's now Saturday, but I did my Week 21 blocks yesterday! For the first time I'm linking up with Friday Night Sew In:
If it's quiet at work, I leave at 3.30 on a Friday - it's only an extra half hour, but it feels like a much longer evening when I do. So I sat down at my machine and did my Farmers Wife Blocks for Week 21! I am still loving this quilt along and seeing what everyone else is doing - check out the Flickr Group. I think it's the variety that keeps it so interesting. So this week, knowing I had a bit of extra time (the magical half an hour) I made a conscious decision to do two harder blocks, so I picked out Wild Geese and Wood Lily. In the end I did Wild Geese and then got distracted by Whirlwind, so did that instead of Wood Lily - I'll put that aside for next week, but I have already chosen the fabrics for it.


So here is #104 Wild Geese: I simplified the background colours to all black then chose a fairly sickly but lovely green and pink combo. I really like this block - it's amazing how changing the colours slightly totally changes the pattern you can see in the block.

And here is my week's distraction piece #103 Whirlwind. The huge amount of one fabric meant I could really show off one of the larger print batiks that I'm using in the quilt.Two totally different colour schemes but I'm sure they'll go together just fine.


I now have two days of stitching ahead, so check back on Sunday evening for an update.


PS. we are just being too cute at the moment:

Comments

Jandi said…
I love your blocks!
Anonymous said…
Your farmer's wife blocks turned out great. I like that you are using a darker background colour. It should tie the blocks together beautifully and make the colours really pop.
Cherise said…
Your blocks are awesome! Great job! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower! Have a Wonderful Day! :

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more