Skip to main content

Friday Night Sew In: BOM and Improv


Handmade by Heidi

Tonight was Friday Night Sew In and I stayed in a sewed!

First up the February blocks in the Skill Builder BOM. I cut these out on Wednesday before I was distracted by Color Me Retro and I did a few seams last night, but got them finished tonight.  This is the Em Dash Block...

I can't tell you what to two fabrics at the top are, but on the bottom is a purple from Rock and Romance from Art Gallery and a pink from Noetworthy by Sweetwater.

And secondly the Mood Block


The pink is Lace Elements from Art Gallery, the green at the top is Wild Garden for Westminster Fibres, the yellow postmark fabric is Free Spirit (I think) and the green in the bottom right is a Nancy Halvorsen fabric...
These two blocks aren't my favourites in the quilt, but they are growing on me each time I look at them! And they are great for showing off some of the bigger print fabrics.

The background for both blocks is Kona Coal.

I then did a few more blocks of Steph's Hot Cross Buns quilt - maybe a set of four a day for the next week ... that would get me close to done.

And then I had a thought. We are going to the quilt show in Edinburgh tomorrow and I want to take my camera - it was new at Christmas and I don't have a case for it yet - so case making mode! I pulled out the scraps I've been creating from the paper piecing I've been doing recently and did something that is so alien and uncomfortable for me - improv piecing. I just went for it - how hard can it be. I made myself a piece of fabric from scraps big enough to cut a front and back and a strap (of sorts). I ironed on some interfacing, "quilted" lots of lines and put it together with a lining made from a Kona ornage (maybe Kona Apricot) that came through the post this week from Simply Solids.

It was all a bit fiddly in the end, because it's too small to feed under the foot easily for the top stitching, and turning the strap through was a very interesting experience. But it works - it protects my new camera. Bu only just - any smaller and the camera would not fit! The fabrics here include Architextures, Ruby, Color Me Retro, Mama Said sew, Art Gallery Floral Elements, Summersville, Noteworthy....


Quite a successful evening!

Comments

You did have a great evening, well done. hugs
Katherine said…
Definitely a very successful evening! Love the way you have used the scraps and come up with a very modern looking camera case too. Might have to try something like that myself one day.
Jenniffier said…
Visiting from FNSI - i like the colors in all of your projects

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more