Skip to main content

March - quite busy!

This year just seems to be rushing by!

I spent the first half of the month working in Budapest again, and Jane came with me. I made five blocks using English Paper Piecing technique (blogged here and here), and wrote a tutorial on how I did it.


When I got back I completed my entry for the Emerald Challenge - a block keeper for storing all those blocks I'm making as part of many many BOMs.


I have written a tutorial for this too - you can find it over on Leanne's blog today as part of the 2013 Finish Along

she can quilt








 I'd love it if you'd pop over and take a look.

The second half of the month was about catching up and starting new things

I made my block for Stash Bee - It's enormous, and not my normal colour scheme but I really enjoyed it. And the Queen Bee for April has picked the same block in different colours, so I get to play with it again!

I made the March block in the Lucky Stars BOM - I absolutely love these little blocks and have some plans for them next month!

I've been working on some long term projects and moving them all along:
Rhubarb and Custard: I'm now sashing this using a quilt as you go technique and I'm loving how the brown is toning it down a bit and giving it some depth.
Daniela's quilt (in the centre of the picture above) is now fully pieced and basted. It comes in at 116" x 116" (I have no idea how I will fight this through my machine to quilt it...)
Steph's quilt (bottom right) is also now fully pieced and basted - a more modest 80" x 80".
Three Peaks Quilt (grey and pink on top row above) - I added all three border and finally bought a backing, so this ready to be quilted too.

And I started a few things too:
Two baby quilts, both in colour schemes I'm not normally comfortable with: a blue and orange square within a square quilt which I've called "Stepping Stones" - you can find the tutorial here. This needs to be basted and quilted. And a red and blue quilt with appliqued circles. I've done all the cutting, but got no further.

Fireworks - one of the new patterns from Camilly Roskelly. I'm using Rock and Romance from Art Gallery.

And a Double Wedding Ring quilt - all of the pieces are die-cut and I am busy chain piecing the arcs and fighting Y-seams... The fabric if Poetica from Art Gallery.

I'm now quite behind in the Skill Builder BOM, and a month behind in the Gen X BOM. My own BOM needs some attention before I can share the April block next weekend. I have been asked by my Dad to make a double bed quilt by the end of June, and I need to finish off some of the quilts above. Let's see how April goes!

I'm linking up with Fresh Sewing Day over at Lily's Quilts

Lily's Quilts

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, those a great projects!
Esther
Lots of lovely projects.
Linking up with Lily's Quilts - Fresh Sewing Day
audrey said…
Oooh! So much lovely! I saw a link to your block keeper tutorial earlier, and I meant to go back later and read it since I really need to make one! Thanks for sharing so much fun!
Jo Jo said…
Love your block keeper - that is a great idea! You have had a busy month :)
Jo Jo said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nita said…
Oh, my goodness you have busy times coming up to make a quilt for your dad by June! But you seem up to the challenge judging by all your beautiful squares.
Leanne said…
Wow, there is just more and more loveliness here, you had a lovely month and looks like another to come!
Lin said…
Not sure how you have time to draw breath!
What a great month! A double bed quilt by the end of June, though - really?! He does know it's April already, doesn't he?!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more