Sunday, 21 April 2013

Stepping Stones [a finish]

Just one week after I posted my goals for Quarter 2 of the Finish Along I have my first finish!

Over Easter I pieced a quilt for a little baby boy using blues and oranges. If you've read this blog for a while, you will know that blue and orange is a colour combination I generally struggle with, but for a little baby boy it just felt right.

The biggest job in this quilt was cutting the fabric - it took just a few hours to piece, about an hour to quilt and a final hour to bind.

The fabrics are a real mixture from my stash: Pearl Bracelets, Architextures, Summersville, Art Gallery Oval Elements, Nature Elements and Floral Elements, Comma, Tilda, Cuzco, Benartex, Kona Solids, Urban Chiks, Red Rooster and a couple of fabrics whose origin is lost in the mists of piles of fabric!


The quilting is a 50wt bright orange aurifil - it's nearly the same colour thread as the plastic bobbin! I did wavy lines irregularly spaced both horizontally and vertically.

The backing is a fantastic  kids print by Jenn Ski.



The binding is Kona Orange.

If you would like to make this quilt, I have put together the basic cutting instructions - you can find them right here.

Come the end of June I will be linking this up with Leanne - here's hoping it isn't the last of the quarter's finishes!

she can quilt

6 comments:

Leanne said...

I love this one. I always like quilts with boxes and orange and blue is one of my favourite combinations. I also love the back fabric! A wonderful finish too.

Diane-crewe said...

loving the colours in this one xx

Sonia said...

Oh it's gorgeous, and I think the colour combination is perfect!

Mack and Mabel said...

I really love the colour combo, perfect for a baby boy!

Ada said...

I love the colour combination. I wouldn't have thought blue and orange would look so nice together. Might try it one time!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your blue and orange combo! Awesome collection of fabrics and fun backing too. I bet the little boy who received this loves it to bits!