Skip to main content

Bubbles [an unexpected finish]

Not fully unexpected, as this was a quilt on my Finish Along list for this quarter. But really I hadn't planned on finishing it this week, or quite this quickly. It's for a friend from work who has just had a little boy called Caleb. Most people from work come in with their baby after a few weeks/months for everyone to ooo and aaahhh. But she has decided to come in just a week and a half after he was born. Tomorrow....


I started this quilt back in March and got as far as cutting out the circles. I drew round a selection of common household objects: plates and mugs mostly.

In order to avoid raw edges I used a light weight fusible interfacing and placed the fabric and the interfacing right sides together, stitched round on the line I had drawn, trimmed, clipped, slit and turned through. I then finger pressed round the edges, positioned them on the background and then ironed them in place before using a blanket stitch on my machine to applique them. That was last night.

So tonight was quilting. I've managed to break three of the six legs on my quilting table, but it turns out that I have a perfect mug in the cupboard!

 I've admired a lot of quilts recently with pebble quilting, and it seemed like an appropriate pattern for this quilt. But I'm calling it bubble quilting rather than pebble quilting: if you have a pile of pebbles you can't see the edges where they overlap. Where bubbles overlap you can see one behind the other - and I can assure you - my "bubbles" overlap. But as a first attempt all over a quilt (I've done bits on my Skill Builder BOMs) I'm thrilled with how it turned out - and even with the overlaps, it still gives the same texture which I love.


The backing is Love U by Deb Strain for Moda.


Rolled and ready to give to Mum tomorrow! Not bad for a school night!


The background fabric is Kona Lake. The circles are all from my stash: Mama Said Sew (Sweetwater); Summersville (Lu Summers); Noteworthy (Sweetwater); Oh Deer (MoMo); Pearl Bracelets (Lizzie House); apples from Robert Kaufmann; Punctuation (Moda) and some others which I have no idea about. It's quilted with a variegated blue from Aurifil and bound in Kona Tomato. It finishes at 33" x 46".

And this count s as a Finish-Along finish!
she can quilt

Comments

What a fab finish. I love the quilting it is stunning.
Diane-crewe said…
well done ... talk about working to a deadline!
JanuaryT said…
Nicely done!!! Your bubbles look amazing!!! I struggle with mine and need a WHOLE lot more practice ;) great job!
That's an awesome finish! I love the whimsical design of the bubbles and the quilting is a great complement to it. Well done!!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more