Skip to main content

Arabella Hexagon Quilt [finished]

Pieced, basted, quilted, and bound - this quilt is finished. And I am very pleased with the finished result.

Mia helped with the photoshoot

Last year friends of ours had a baby girl called Arabella. I had fully intended to make them a baby quilt, but she was born just after I fell pregnant and I couldn't face sewing for over a month, so the quilt was never made. We are going to a mutual friend's wedding tomorrow so it's about time Arabella got her quilt.

This started as a sketch and I worked it out with a bit of trial and error and a 60 degree ruler. The fabrics are a mix from my stash plus a light green mottled fabric I bought specifically, but which didn't have a name on the selvage: Kona Solids, Pearl Bracelets, Art Gallery and Moda.

The was the quilt I needed to practice my spiral quilting for. I ironed out some of the problems with my practice quilt, and half way through I un-basted the remaining quilt and re-basted it as I've found the spiral quilting distorts the fabric slightly . However, there are still numerous pleats and puckers on the back. Luckily I chose a nice busy backing fabric (Mimi by Chez Moi for Moda) which hides it.

My Quilt-Holder-Upper may have been drunk...
I love the texture from this type of quilting, but I still have some way to go to perfect it. I did three spirals, two of which overlap, but I ended up with a very baggy bit of the quilt top in the triangle between the two - I attacked it by pinning heavily then used my walking foot to sew 1/8" from the edge of the quilt to even out the bagginess and it worked - no puckers. I struggled to know how to finish the centre of the spiral - I settled on a free motion quilted heart - you wouldn't believed the trouble my machine gave me over those three hearts - thorough clean, new needle, rethreaded, rethreaded again...and again... eventually I won.

The binding is a Moda Marble in sage green. All of these photos are taken before washing - it's currently in the tumble drier and nearly ready to be gifted tomorrow - though I may try and take some better photos before I gift it...


Everyone wanted to get in on the photo shoot!

Doesn't Mia look tiny

I have another one of these quilts in the pipe line and the plan is to make it into a pattern - if anyone would like to test the pattern for me, just drop me a note.

This is my first finish for the Quarter 2 Finish Along and the next few finishes should be soon, as I just need to attach some binding. You can find my original finish along list here.
Finish Along 2014

Comments

Jessica said…
This is stunning!! You did a beautiful job with the quilting, too!
Marly said…
Beautiful design, and you've done a good job on the quilting. You were brave doing such a demanding quilting design; thanks for sharing your experience.
Diane-crewe said…
beautiful model for a beautiful quilt xx .. you turn your back and the whole family want to get in on the act xx lol x
The quilt and Mia look lovely. She look indeed very tiny in this picture. Your friend will be over the moon!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more