Skip to main content

Arabella Hexagon Quilt [finished]

Pieced, basted, quilted, and bound - this quilt is finished. And I am very pleased with the finished result.

Mia helped with the photoshoot

Last year friends of ours had a baby girl called Arabella. I had fully intended to make them a baby quilt, but she was born just after I fell pregnant and I couldn't face sewing for over a month, so the quilt was never made. We are going to a mutual friend's wedding tomorrow so it's about time Arabella got her quilt.

This started as a sketch and I worked it out with a bit of trial and error and a 60 degree ruler. The fabrics are a mix from my stash plus a light green mottled fabric I bought specifically, but which didn't have a name on the selvage: Kona Solids, Pearl Bracelets, Art Gallery and Moda.

The was the quilt I needed to practice my spiral quilting for. I ironed out some of the problems with my practice quilt, and half way through I un-basted the remaining quilt and re-basted it as I've found the spiral quilting distorts the fabric slightly . However, there are still numerous pleats and puckers on the back. Luckily I chose a nice busy backing fabric (Mimi by Chez Moi for Moda) which hides it.

My Quilt-Holder-Upper may have been drunk...
I love the texture from this type of quilting, but I still have some way to go to perfect it. I did three spirals, two of which overlap, but I ended up with a very baggy bit of the quilt top in the triangle between the two - I attacked it by pinning heavily then used my walking foot to sew 1/8" from the edge of the quilt to even out the bagginess and it worked - no puckers. I struggled to know how to finish the centre of the spiral - I settled on a free motion quilted heart - you wouldn't believed the trouble my machine gave me over those three hearts - thorough clean, new needle, rethreaded, rethreaded again...and again... eventually I won.

The binding is a Moda Marble in sage green. All of these photos are taken before washing - it's currently in the tumble drier and nearly ready to be gifted tomorrow - though I may try and take some better photos before I gift it...


Everyone wanted to get in on the photo shoot!

Doesn't Mia look tiny

I have another one of these quilts in the pipe line and the plan is to make it into a pattern - if anyone would like to test the pattern for me, just drop me a note.

This is my first finish for the Quarter 2 Finish Along and the next few finishes should be soon, as I just need to attach some binding. You can find my original finish along list here.
Finish Along 2014

Comments

Jessica said…
This is stunning!! You did a beautiful job with the quilting, too!
Marly said…
Beautiful design, and you've done a good job on the quilting. You were brave doing such a demanding quilting design; thanks for sharing your experience.
Diane-crewe said…
beautiful model for a beautiful quilt xx .. you turn your back and the whole family want to get in on the act xx lol x
The quilt and Mia look lovely. She look indeed very tiny in this picture. Your friend will be over the moon!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more