Skip to main content

Hexy Buggy Blanket [a finish]

About 2 months ago I walked into one of our local quilting shops and saw Petit Street from Dashwood Studios. I knew I had to make something for Mia with these fabrics. I bought a fat quarter of six of the seven prints in the range (the seventh was quite a large scale house print). When Mia was born it was February - winter. We didn't even think of summer, so the only blankets we have for the buggy or the car seat are quite heavy. Too heavy. And so big that we have to fold them, making them even warmer. So she needs something lighter for those balmy summer nights....


I decided on large 1.5" hexies and spent a while basting as many as I could get from the fat quarters. I stitched them together until, holding them against the buggy, it looked about right. I then removed all the papers - something I find quite satisfying and basted it to some flannel.


I decided to go without batting. I've then taken one of the diagonal straight lines created by the hexies and quilted 1/8" each side of each seam running in that direction, going across the middle of alternate hexies.


It's bound in a bit more of the pink dotty fabric and I've added a couple of loops on the back for those hoopy things you get for baby toys to attach them to the buggy so they don't fall off.


One finished blankey modelled by Mia. And blankey matches the buggy!!!

The finished quilt is just 24"x 20". I used Aurifil 50w 4654, a variegated turquoise for all the piecing and the quilting and used a splash of 50w 2605 pink variegated to top stitch the binding in place. I have just one problem. I have a lot of hexies left over.

 So I'm going to make another quilt - obviously. Well the first one will no doubt have to go through the wash occasionally, so watch this space!

As it's the weekend and I finished this yesterday, I'm linking up with Sewjo Saturday!


And this is another finish for the Finish Along this quarter! You can find my original list here.

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Ellyn said…
how clever to add the loops for the links! I'll bet she loves her new blankie.
Mokki said…
So pretty. You found a really good backing for it, it matches beautifully. Getting two blankies from a bundle of fat quarters is a bargain too! It's wise to have two. :)
ittehgaps said…
Love the hexies as it shows off the prints. And your loops and rings are perfect to keep it safely attached. Obsessed with Petite Street ever since I first saw it. Impossible to find in the USA so I finally tracked some down from Canada and splurged on a big bundle of it to make myself a special quilt. Can you tell me what that perfectly matching backing is? Cindy bluemoonstencils@yahoo.com
Kay said…
The loops are a great idea. I would never have thought of those. I love EPP and can many happy hours sewing up hexagons. So glad I found your lovely blog today. x

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more