Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday [The Splendid Sampler]

Have you seen the Splendid Sampler? It launched in February: two blocks per week from a variety of designers using a variety of techniques. When I first heard about it and thought I might join in, my plan was to just make a few of the blocks I liked. Well it turns out that although I don't like all the blocks, I like an awful lot of them.

So far 43 blocks have been released and I've made 22: I'm hiding one cause I don't like it and there's one that will appear in a few sentences time!


Whilst I'm enjoying the variety of these blocks, there is a niggle of doubt that they won't work very well together in a finished quilt. That's the reason I'm making each block a single colour, in the hope that a rainbow layout in the final quilt will add much needed cohesiveness. I've just made up the above collage, and I'm optimistic.

There have been some straightforward rotary cut and foundation pieced blocks. I particularly loved these two blocks I sewed up today: Block 15 Family Affair, which was foundation pieced.


And block 23 Hand in Hand - the funky shaped triangles are folded and inserted into the seam.



I've loved the embroidered blocks, especially Nature's walk. This has to be the best piece of embroidery I've ever done, and as such there was no way I was letting people put their bums on it in a finished quilt. So I made it into a 6" mini quilt and I love looking at it while I sew.


I do like this one too: it was called Crocheted Thoughts, but I don't crochet, so I made a few alterations - just a mandala, no crochet hook!



I'm finding the applique blocks a challenge. Mostly I've done blanket stitch on raw-edge applique.



Whilst it works, it feels clunky (you can just about see it on the birds above). So on the latest block I tried needle-turn applique. I much prefer the finish. But I'm still struggling with the process. I don't think this is the last you'll hear on my applique journey, but for now, I have a cute little tomato pincushion! And I've just realised looking at the photo below, a bent pin. How very appropriate given the current contents of my pincushion!


I'm looking forward to making progress on a few of the hand-sewn blocks over the next few weeks.

I think this is a pretty good WIP for a Wednesday!

Comments

Lovely blocks. I'm appliqueing at the moment. Different techniques, needle point, blanket stitch and with the machine. I love needle point most, but it is a lot of work and difficult for tiny pieces and points. The tomato looks perfect. Your little embroidered mini quilt (6", wow!) turned out great.
Lin said…
Your blocks look great Jennie. I am enjoying seeing all the different variations around blogland. xx
I love the crochet block!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more