Skip to main content

#100Days100Blocks

2016 is the year of the block. Of the day, of the week, of the month - I'm not really fussed. That doesn't mean to say I'm up to date with any of them...

  • #365quilt challenge (daily): I'm 45 blocks behind
  • Splendid Sampler (bi-weekly): 24 blocks behind plus a few bonus blocks still to make
  • Zodiac BOM (monthly): 5 behind
  • Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt (weekly): God knows how many behind - I haven't touched this in quite a few months... 35-40 maybe?
  • Summer Sampler (weekly): 7 behind.
Can you see a pattern developing? But you know what - it's not stopping me starting something new. Unless you've been living under a rock or aren't on Instagram, you will have likely stumbled across the #100days100blocks hashtag. It's been organized by @gnomeangel, @ sunflowerquilting and @sweetlittlepretties and the idea is that each day for 100 days you sew and post the blocks from Tula Pink's City Sampler book. It starts tomorrow.



I've already made a quilt using these blocks (not eligible for this sew-along). I loved piecing these 6" blocks. That quilt is now half-quilted and once I get my machine's tension fixed, I'll be prioritising this one again. So rather than use this sew long to make another full-size bed quilt, I'll be using it to make three (yes, three) smaller quilts. Here are my plans:

The first quilt has changed a bit since it's inception: we are going to be getting a new nephew later this year and I was going to make a baby quilt for him using these blocks. However, his parents had other ideas - there will be an equilateral triangle quilt in my future. But I liked my original idea so much that I'm still going to make it. In fact I'm going to up-size it to a lap quilt with 54 blocks. Here's my fabric pull.


The colour palette is very much inspired by this quilt.

The second project is a promise I made 2 years ago when Michael's cousin got married. It's taken her this long to pick a project. I may have heavily suggested this! I'm going to make the "Skyline" quilt from the book, which uses 70 blocks, and I'm using grey, low volume, purple and bright green. Here's the fabric pull - I'm not sure about the shot cottons top right...


You may think that with 54 blocks in one quilt and 70 in another, I'd have all 100 blocks covered. But no. These projects are important enough that my least favourite blocks haven't made the cut.  So the final project is a catch-all of the remaining 16 blocks. It's still only a vague plan based around these fabrics I picked up at the weekend.



I will need to shop my stash to round out this palette, and if it's nice enough once I've finished, it will be a long-owed baby quilt. Chances are I will add in a few extra blocks here too. 

Ambitious much? Sewing ahead is permitted for this sew-along (just as well) so I've already got a tidy pile of blocks ready to share. If you haven't already taken a look at this sew-along, please do. There are some prizes up for grabs, but better still, these blocks are gorgeous and you'll have all the blocks you'll need for a fabulous quilt (or three) by the end of it! And the book has to be one of the most beautiful patchwork books I've ever bought. If I can keep up I'll share the blocks here every ten days... (history doesn't share my optimism!) Go on - check it out!

Comments

Lin said…
Sounds fun Jennie and I love your colour choices. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more