We know so many people who have had, or are expecting, babies this year. Friends from university had a baby girl called Alba back in February and she needed a quilt!
I picked a pattern from Make Modern magazine - a foundation pieced star design by @quietplay. The original design resulted in a 10" blocks, but when I cut the fabric for the first block, I realised just how much fabric it would take, and because it was foundation pieced, how much I would waste. Back to the drawing board. Instead of twelve or sixteen 10" blocks I decided to make sixty-three 5" blocks. Obviously. I printed out the pattern at 50% and started piecing.
The fabrics I picked started with a random selection of fat quarters sitting on my sewing desk - thrown together from other projects. I started with the original six and added in a few more. No star is the same - every fabric is different. With an off-white solid pulling it all together. I made a conscious effort not to go all rainbowy, but stay pastelly and girly and shuffle the colour order a bit!
Even though this is an easy foundation pieced block, piecing that many takes time, and I'm prone to getting bored making the same block over and over, so it took me a few months to make enough blocks. Only to find I'd made too many!
I was a bit stumped with quilting, and eventually did straight lines about 1/8" away from each block seam line, creating a grid across the quilt. The finished quilt is 35" x 45" and I used the off white solid to bind it.
This quilt was on my quarter 3 Finish Along list, which you can find here.