Skip to main content

Awesome Ocean [A Finish]

The Manatee is my husband's spirit animal. He declared this while watching a documentary in which they featured - the shots showed the animals gently floating without a care in the world. A minute after he declared this, the narrator, Prof. Brian Fox, continued with "The manatee is the most spherical animal on Earth". You can imagine my delight and the hysterics that followed!


All this by way of introduction to my latest finish: the Awesome Ocean Quilt, pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. Featuring the Manatee! And seahorses, octopuses (Octopi?), fish, turtles and whales. I love this quilt so much. The background fabric is Moda Grunge in a light bright blue, and it just makes this quilt glow!


I'm also pretty pleased with the colour layout, which I planned with crayons, but then once I'd decided that a specific block needed to be peach and the next pink etc, I didn't actually lay out the fabrics I was using until the blocks were all mostly made. So some luck and some judgement...

I nearly ran out of peach fabrics, in my quest to not repeat a print - thanks to Helen @archiewonderdog for helping out! I've since restocked my peaches as so many great peach fabrics have come out in the last few months. I think there may be a couple of repeats, but I think I've done pretty well!

The backing is a whale print I picked up a couple of years ago in an Instagram destash. I bought about 9m so have loads left - every baby born this year is getting an ocean themed quilt with this as the backing! The quilting is in a pale mint green Aurifil 50w, which seemed to blend best with all the fabrics, and I quilted waves! This quilt is not small, and it was quite a workout pulling it through my machine, but I love the resulting quilting.


This is a long time finish along lister, but I'm pleased to say that this is the final list it will be appearing on! You can find my original list here.

finishalong logo 125px

Comments

I love to see others' EH finishes because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to make them myself! This is gorgeous and worth all the time and effort you poured into it.

Those manatees *are* so sweet, but I'm kind of crazy about the octopuses! : )
Kate said…
Very colorful and fun. Beautifully done!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more